I bought approximately 50 Hybrid Willows about 5 weeks ago. I set them into water filled jars at about 2/3 depth (6 inches) for about two weeks. Then transferred them to 3 gallon buckets with "Sta-Green 2-cu ft Tree and Shrub Soil With Fertilizer". It contains:
0.04% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
0.03% Nitrate Nitrogen
0.02% Urea Nitrogen
0.05% Soluble Potash
sphagnum moss, ground dolomitic limestone (ph adjusted), wetting agent, and either reed-sedge peat or composted pine bark.
I added "Pennington UltraGreen All Purpose Food 10-10-10"
Since planting them 3 weeks ago 19 are dying/dead.
I have attached close-up pictures.
Here is a time-lapse from Feb 1 to Feb 18 (since the transfer to 3 gallon buckets).
You can only see about half the willows. The periodic sagging was from watering; which should give you an idea of the frequency. Light cycle was add a few days in.
I bought another 24. I do not want to make the same mistake again! Let me know what you think the problem is.
brevity is the soul of wit - shakespeare. Tiny ad:
Switching from electric heat to a rocket mass heater reduces your carbon footprint as much as parking 7 cars