(I attended this workshop awhile back, and highly recommend it ;)
We will be holding a BioChar Stove Building Workshop
on Saturday, March 31st from 10am to 4pm
at S.E.L.F. - Seattle Earth Lost and Foundry / The Foundry MakerSpace, 4710 Ballard Ave. NW, Seattle, WA. 98107
(Located at the former Viking Fire Foundry)
We invite you to participate by building either the Estufa Finca Five Gallon BioChar Farm Stoves pyroneered by Art Donnnelly at Seachar.org OR build an derivative design of the smaller Dome School Soup Can Emergency / Backpacking Stove.
The Estufa Finca Stove is great for BBQing in your back yard WHILE creating BioChar for your garden (if you chose to include the cooktop and air base add-ons to your stove). The Dome School stove is great for understanding the principles of gassification and biochar creation while replacing traditional expensive proprietary backpacking equipment. Either stove is good to have around and know how to use in personal / community emergency preparedness as well as building sustainable solutions for our soil and environment.
This is a fund raiser event to convert our Worker Owned Cooperative into The Foundry MakerSpace / Seattle MakerSpace in Ballard Seattle. A portion of the proceeds will go toward Seachar.org's continuing efforts as well as helping The Foundry's Worker Owned Cooperative open it's facilities to provide a Community Industrial MakerSpace in Ballard. Our primary focus being sustainability projects, skill sharing, Metal, and Fire. Current activities have included stove making, metal casting (aluminum and bronze) welding, black smiting, metal working, woodworking. and 3d printing. Future activities may include glass working, even more sustainability projects, etc.
Larry James [ Steve Anderson, Micheal Kacena, Adam Reeder, and friends]
FoundryMakerSpace@gmail.com Seattle BioChar - Stove Builder / Instructor / Volunteer SeaChar.org for Nickelsville EcoVillage BioChar Stove Project
S.E.L.F. - Seattle Earth Lost and Foundry - Worker Owned Cooperative
SELF Reliance through Action, Education, and Community Cooperation.
Co-founder - The Foundry MakerSpace / Seattle MakerSpace - Industrial MakerSpace located in Ballard Seattle
additional details below...
Join us on Saturday March 31st, 10am - 4pm, at the Seattle Earth Lost and Foundry (4710 Ballard Ave. NW, Seattle, Wa. 98107), for an Stove Building Workshop. Learn a little about biochar and build a TLUD ( top lit updraft) clean burning, fuel efficient, biochar producing cook stove.
* For a $25 donation build and take home a "Dome School Stove". This mini-TLUD is the perfect backpackers/hand warming version of our big stove technology.
* These elegant micro-gasifiers are, affordable, easy to build and safe to use. You will need to bring [Preferably Pre-emptied and washed] (4) tin cans for this stove: (1) 46oz. can [tomato juice], (1) approx. 32 oz. [crushed tomatoes], (1) 18.5oz. Progresso soup, (1) 15oz. can [tomatoes]. The Progresso Soup Can being the most necessary, we often have extras of everything else. Alternately a 20 oz. can be substituted for the Progresso Soup can.
* For a $75 donation build and take home a five gallon "GARDEN MASTER Stove". This gardener's version of our "ESTUFA FINCA" project stove, makes clean heat and soil building biochar from your garden and yard wastes. All materials for this stove will be provided.
*The Cook Top and Air Base addon that convert the basic stove into a free standing back yard BBQ are available for an additional Donation/Purchase. Supplies and Tooling for these will be available for you to build if you have time and/or have built the basic stove already and want these.
* Along with building stoves, we will be learning a little about biochar and how to use it in the your garden and/or backyard BBQ.
* This will also be an preliminary fund raiser for The Foundry MakerSpace / Seattle MakerSpace. Learn how clean burning, biochar-making stoves can build opportunities for everyone, fight climate change and improve lives.
* Bring a snack, a pair of gloves and if possible a pair of safety glasses, ear plugs. If you are planning on trying your stove after the build, bring a cup and/or a pot to heat your food up in and something to eat off of.
* Everyone should have a lot of fun, most will be going home with a tested stove, and an definitely an expanded understanding of biochar. If you wish to stay late, at the end the day we can test out our new creations by cooking up whatever is brought to share with the rest of the group.
If you wish you may make an additional donation to SeaChar.org directly for the workshop. We are recommending $25 donation for their continuing work in reducing carbon emissions while improving lives. You can use the PayPal button on SeaChar.Org website at: http://seachar.org/wordpress/?page_id=96 or mail checks to SeaChar.Org @ 603 Stewart Street, Suite 906 Seattle, Wa. 98101
Please RSVP! so we know how many materials we need on hand...
Bring your cash and/or checks to the event
For this workshop Contact: S.E.L.F. at SeaEarthLostAndFoundry@gmail.com for more information and directions. (be sure to subject line BioChar Stove Build Workshop)
Come reinvent fire with us and help build a better future.
We are currently accepting applicants to join The Foundry MakerSpace / Seattle MakerSpace in Ballard Seattle. There is common workbench space coming available April 1st, 2012. We are in process of converting the free space, putting together a common tool list, membership dues/fee schedule, and website. There will be basic membership (use of common space/tools during hours of operation) and limited number of keyed 24/7 access membership available. Subscribe to the below announcement list or visit our website for updates and more details. website
There will be a Private Event hosted by Rain City Brew at the Seattle MakerSpace on Sunday April 1st 2012. Local brewers are putting on a "Beer as Art" show. It is by invitation only, so you MUST be one the Guest List for entry. If you are thinking of going or becoming a Foundry Member you will need to RSVP to go be added to their list. Please visit http://beerasart.com/events.php for more details and email email@example.com and ask them to add you to the guest list.