Not sure where this goes, though Digital Market seemed like a good spot because some individuals use mobile devices to do business with. Please and thank you for moving this if there is a more suitable forum.
Cutting to the chase are a few links below with discussion about privacy concerns (imo, mental masturbation at this point in time) and the effect of relatively recent browser developments on mobile devices. This assumes an individual is interested and aware of what's going on with their mobile devices and able to make changes, IF needed, to settings without studying red and white papers (light sarcasm). If, like myself you'd rather be creating or getting dirty outside, and you are experiencing being randomly kicked off websites or out of webmail via C Panel, a call to your ISP might be useful if it will assign a static IP address to your mobile device.
Perhaps I should wait until this coming Monday to post this so I can report first hand if a static IP really is a solution. However, this has been a monumental pain in the ass. I figured posting now might help someone else who is experiencing similar issues and has not yet explored potential causes or resolution(s).
Recently I've experienced a number of what seemed unexplainable difficulties with the Chromium (Linux version of Chrome) and Firefox browsers. The OS on my ancient HP laptop (soon to be upgraded due to old hardware) is Linux Mate Sylvia 18.3. Updates are kept current. There's been no need for anti-virus for about 10-ish years, so no interference there. Webmail is on a dedicated server which is kept updated by a reputable host. System files don't show malware lurking in the background on both the laptop and dedicated server. There may be other things to look at, however so far those seem to be the primary items to be looked at first. If the static IP does not resolve these issues, I'll be updating this thread as new developments, if any, occur.
Mostly I use Firefox because I sometimes use dozens of references during a day and the bookmarks organization jives with my filing habits. Chromium has mostly been used to troubleshoot Firefox issues. Specific to DoH, DNS, static / dynamic IP addressing, which browser is being used is not the sole culprit or resolution because I experience most of the same inconvenient behaviors on all three devices (phone, laptop, tablet). The Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 has its own connection, yet the numbers for each device (tablet and phone) experience mostly the same issues though not always at the same time, which makes sense with my limited grasp of current communications technologies. The phone is a Samsung G7 Power (fantastic battery time) with a hotspot for the laptop.
Before relocating to Missoula the hotspot/laptop setup worked great, so I was stumped with investigating what changed. I figured it was the ISP at first, but that was only part of a bigger picture.
Supposedly tweaking C Panel settings might address certain issues with webmail, though that does not entirely address being randomly kicked out of webmail. After over a month of tech calls and rummaging through tech talk online, supposedly only a static IP address offers 'trouble free' (time will tell) use of webmail and laptops connected via hotspots.
Why must I use webmail? It's a personal preference over gmail and other free email. Unfortunately, webmail via C Panel is caught in the crossfire of email wars between Microsoft and Google. Perhaps not directly, but webmail gets dinged with connectivity issues when the user is not a business with a static IP address because common browsers used via mobile devices are subject to constant IP address changes, resulting in ambiguous security errors that aren't really only that.
Here are some of the issues I've experienced that - so far - point to the necessity of obtaining an FEIN so my ISP (T Mobile) can set up my account as a business in order to be assigned a static IP address, to avoid being kicked out of webmail 30+ times a day and assorted other oddities.
an Asian language appearing on random pages, not only on Permies as recently happened
ipfinder.us showing IP address changes every time either the tablet or phone spew a security error
fast.com showing good to excellent up/down speeds though browsers churn and sometimes time out
sometimes either device is disconnected without an IP address change
sometimes not disconnected yet kicked off webmail via C Panel with or without an IP address change
downloading became an issue, still haven't pinned that down because error messages are inconsistent and time outs due to slowness do not consistently appear to be the cause
constant buffering and time outs
unusual redirects, usually with reference to Cloud Flare which I do not have an account with, and which prompted me to consider and rule out malware concerns
There have been a few other odd behaviors, though I've been unable to confirm those are entirely related to dynamic IP addressing or something waiting to be addressed through a Linux update.
If others who use mobile devices are experiencing similar issues, perhaps this discussion will help navigate turbulent IP addressing inconveniences.
Note: Though this problematic experience began for me about a month ago, rollouts are not done all at once, have been going on for months (as best I can tell), and seem planned to be continued despite end user moaning. I love technology but really wish, however pointlessly, that developers/implementers could plan with more consideration. Some of the reading at the links above indicates large scale businesses were carefully considered, while the rest of us are left to fend for ourselves. So... levity :)
Remember to always leap before you look. But always take the time to smell the tiny ads: