The leaves on my Hardy Kiwi are turning pale in spots, and the tips of new leaves are turning black. The vine is going into its second year. Last year, the leaves showed the same problems as they are starting to show this year, and the growth died back almost to the ground. The leaves look like they might be indicating a lack of Manganese. I don't know my soil pH currently, but it tends to be basic where I live. That might be affecting nutrient uptake.
Has anyone had a similar problem, or would recommend a solution based off of this?
I'm having a similar issue with the hardy kiwi I bought this spring, which was doing great until a little over a month ago. I've been troubleshooting to see if I can figure out the issue.
I bought it bare root, so put it in a pot to establish a root system while I figured out where to plant it, and thought it might be pot-bound. But when I went to up-pot it, the root ball still had plenty of room. I moved it to a place with afternoon shade since I read they can struggle in Texas full sun. I dusted it with DE, in case it was being attacked by something sucking the juices from the leaves.
I've also given it doses of diluted urine and comfrey tea, plus a little epsom salt, in case it is a heavy feeder and consumed the nutrients in the pot.
But one thing I didn't consider before now, and that you & I have in common, is the pH. My soil and (especially) water are very alkaline. I didn't have to start watering the pot until late April, when it started to get hot & dry, which around the same time as when it began to struggle. I just didn't consider the water being the issue, as it was around the same time that the sun rays got harsh & the millions of pests started showing up to feast on my plants.
Not sure if the alkalinity of the tap water is the actual cause, but I think I will start watering it from the rain bucket that I use for my gardenias and pitcher plant. Maybe/hopefully that will help.
Kc, I really do think it is the pH in my case. Everything it seems deficient in so far points to that. For now, I am attempting to remedy with some fertilizer for the growing season (a band-aid solution), and I got my hands on some mycorrhizal fungi which I tried to apply to the roots as an experiment. We'll see what happens. Later I might see if I can adjust the pH using sulfur or something similar.
For your kiwi, I am not sure, but perhaps planting it will help. It certainly wouldn't hurt to look at pH requirements and possible amendments when planting.
May you enjoy many kiwiberries in the future!
Collection of 14 Permaculture/Homesteading Cheat-Sheets, Worksheets, and Guides