Looking for a practical, self-motivated coop member, or couple, to join our Detroit coop!
Come join our oasis in an urban environment. We need experienced co-opers or communards! Great rewards for extra help! Detroit is full of art, music and our block is a good, tight-knit block in a well-known historic district where Motown grew up (the house was Aretha Franklin's house as a teen). The city has its bad areas like every city, but we enjoy its soul; its truthfulness; and the beauty of feeling rural yet still with the amenities of a city. In our coop, the right people could have a space to work from home. Many possibilities! What to expect:
- Giant gardening potential/large land space
- Community garden down the street
- Fantastic cultural opportunities: Detroit Institute of the Arts, Historic, beautiful architecture and libraries, free music that will blow your socks off!
- Food coop developing in the neighborhood
- Oldest existing farmers market in country
- Only a few miles bike ride from downtown & even closer to the University District
- Great equipment (large basement with giant workspace with lots of tools, etc.)
- Nice amenities (big kitchen, lovely bath)
- Real Co-op ownership potential!
- Low fees: $250 - $325 per month depending on size of space, furnished/unfurnished, complete/still malleable, plus your portion of the utilities (usually divided by 6 or 7)
We are a newly formed housing cooperative with a big, historic but modernized house. We’ve got big potential and big dreams, but we are mostly young co-opers with little experience and stretched thin outside the house. If you (you singular, or perhaps a couple) are an organizer, an artist, cooperative-minded, and have yet to experience all that is going on in Detroit, it is time you come join us!
If interested, please send us a short bio of yourself including your Co-op/community experience, what gifts you have to give, and what inspires you. Include a telephone number so we can set up a time for an interview.