• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Mike Haasl
  • paul wheaton
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Dave Burton
master gardeners:
  • jordan barton
  • Greg Martin
  • Steve Thorn
  • Carla Burke
  • Jay Angler
  • Kate Downham

Cowlitz County WA regulations

Posts: 6
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm considering some land in Cowlitz County WA for off-grid homesteading. Has anyone had experience with the water/mineral rights, etc for this county? Any other considerations for this county?
Posts: 3599
Location: woodland, washington
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I live in Cowlitz County, but I don't have much experience dealing with the county government. I've heard mixed reviews from others, but they were mostly building contractors dealing with code inspectors. my general impression is that it would be relatively easy to fly under the radar, so to speak, but don't take my word for it.
Posts: 7926
Location: Currently in Lake Stevens, WA. Home in Spokane
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mineral and water rights will vary.

Normally, mineral rights come with the property, unless a previous owner has sold them.
The deed should specify if the rights belong to the property, or somebody else.

Water rights are entirely different. You are entitled to use whatever is available for household use. For agricultural use, you need Water Rights. They do not automatically come with the land. If the current owner has water rights, he may, or may not include them with the property. He may sell them apart from the property (even to somebody else).

Even if you pay $20,000 to have a well put in, unless you specifically have water rights, you may only draw enough water from that well for household use. Household use can include a 'normal garden', but not a dozen or so fruit trees, or a half acre of corn. Most areas have daily limits on how much you may use for 'landscaping'.

WA is not as militant about water rights as some other states are (CO, OR, UT). West of the Cascades, nobody seems to even think about it, but as you move further into the rain shadow, water rights are on everybody's mind. I have heard of cases where one neighbor would turn in another if they thought the lawn looked too green in late summer.
This guy is skipping without a rope. At least, that's what this tiny ad said:
BWB second printing, pre-order dealio (poor man's poll)
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic