This is my first post here. I've been trying to research permaculture and am very new to the concept. We purchased 7 acres here in western WI last summer (just before I first heard about permaculture). It is a perfect rectangle, with about a 2 acre chunk that is a hill with woods in one corner, and the rest is fairly flat farm field. We are planning on building our home next spring, but are looking for advice as to where to place the house? I'm planning on taking a PDC eventually, but won't be able to afford it for a couple years. (married 4 kids 1 income) Any advice would be great! Thanks!!
- where is the access to your land?
- what outside factors do you have to take into account? Like risk of fire, or flooding, noise, cold/hot winds?
- where do you think it's best to place any animals, if you plan on that?
- which other activities do you want to employ?
- what is the highest side of the property, how is it sloped, what is the lowest side? Where is the key-point, if there is one?
- Will you have a zone 5 (wilderness reserve)?
- Where is water entering the property during heavy rains?
and more questions depending on your plans and the situation on the ground.
I can see that most is bare land, it's not enormously huge, and not too steep as you say, so if you make sure you avoid risks of flooding and/or fire I guess slightly off center makes the most sense from a flexibility point of view. But other than such a general notion you really need more info. Or take that PDC so you can analyse it for yourself