Job Available at Avena Botanicals' Apothecary and Organic & Biodynamic Herb Garden in Rockport, Maine
About the Company:
Avena Botanicals is a small business in midcoast Maine where each person working within its rhythm plays an integral role in the co-creation process of providing high quality handmade herbal products from seed to bottle. We are an herbal apothecary that has offered a variety of hand-crafted herbal remedies for 32 years and most of our products are made with herbs grown and hand-harvested from our own biodynamic, organic gardens in Rockport, Maine. In providing high quality herbal remedies created by hand, we work to balance strong ideals about the creation of these remedies with good business practice. We strive to create a happy, healthy workplace for all beings.
The Production Herb Garden Coordinator is responsible for overseeing maintenance of Avena Botanicals' biodynamic production garden and its staff while collaborating closely with the founder/herbalist, production manager, and tincture maker regarding herb harvest goals and garden needs.
Daily tasks include: aligning production garden structure to Deb Soule's vision and Avena's harvest needs, leading and supporting the garden crew in all aspects of production, coordinating production garden collections, organizing the weekly work schedule of the garden crew alongside Deb, and maintaining a daily garden log. This position requires the skills, care, and aesthetic of performing garden work as well as the ability to communicate with clarity and thoughtfulness when organizing, leading, and participating in group projects as well as solo projects. When needed, this position will also assist Deb with the maintenance of the Sanctuary gardens.
The ideal applicant will have the following key skill sets and qualities:
- Kind, thoughtful, and skillful communicator and collaborator
- Enjoys managing people (minimum of 3 years managing people and organic gardens)
- Perceptive with ability to listen actively and to accept constructive criticism and feedback
- Be able to work adeptly both independently and as part of a team
- Enthusiastic team player
- Extremely detail oriented with exceptional organizational skills
- Good multi-tasker
- Self-directed, takes initiative using independent judgment to plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload
- Creative problem solver
- Genuine interest in and commitment to furthering their studies in biodynamics
- Respectful of medicine plants and pollinators
36 hours per week
Starts early April and lasts through late November, weather permitting
Applications due by February 6th
Interviews begin mid-February