Win a copy of The Ethical Meat Handbook this week in the Food Choices forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources rattlesnake pit projects digital market permies.com private forums code ranch all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • r ranson
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • James Freyr
  • Jocelyn Campbell
stewards:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • paul wheaton
  • Burra Maluca
garden masters:
  • Steve Thorn
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Jay Angler
  • Carla Burke
  • thomas rubino

Making a clothesline loop with coated cable

 
greenhorn
Posts: 88
Location: Fort Myers, fl - Durango CO
11
chicken bee solar
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
We have used various materials for clotheslines, mostly rope or stuff meant for clotheslines.  In most cases they work fine, sometimes sag in rain or cold then contract when dry.  We have a pulley system so we can stand by the door, out of snow or wet, put clothes on the line and then send all the clothes out to dry.  This works great when the knot is in the right place, as the knot won't go thru the pulley!  I've tried using 3-strand rope using a long splice, but stretch was still a problem.  I've looked at all the fancy clothesline hardware and couldn't find anything to join a clothesline into a loop that would still go thru a pulley.  So, I decided to come up with my own solution.  I chose coated steel wire rope, no stretch, won't stain clothes, and weather resistant.  I still couldn't find low profile couplers, so what I did is this:

I Put the pulleys on a slightly longer long piece of cable and installed the line, then tightened the line and marked where the ends would meet, added a half of an inch, and cut the cable.

I bought a ferrule and stop set for crimping cable, one size bigger than the cable,  I have 1/8" cable, so I used a 3/16" stop, The thing you crimp on one strand of cable.  I increased the chamfer on one side to help later.  Then slid the stop onto the cable as well.

Then I stripped 1/2" of coating off both ends and sort of unlaid the wire so the strands were straight and loose.  Then pushed the 2 ends of the cable together so the strands were evenly mixed and the cable looked like it lined up across the gap.  Then forced the stop over the married ends.  The fit was tight but a little coaxing got it all in.  You could see the strand ends on both sides of the stop.

Then since the stop was 3/16", I crimped using that spot on my swaging tool, followed by reswaging using the 1/8" spot.  I did multiple crimps across the stop so the stop was evenly mashed.  This left small wings on both sides of the crimp which I then ground off, smoothing what was left of the stop.

This left a relatively low profile connection, well pressed, and sort of working like a Chinese finger puzzle.  What's great is that the connection easily passes thru the pulley!!  I have a long threaded hook on one post so I can tighten the loop.  Hardly any sag and is holding up great!

I smothed the connection a little more after taking the pic below and I may coat the connection with epoxy to keep moisture out.

I'd love to hear if anyone has come up with something easier or cleaner to make a connection that will go thru the pulley.

Here are some pics of my process

Filename: Stripped-cable-ends-and-Stop.pdf
Description: Stripped Cable and Stop
File size: 719 Kbytes
Filename: Ends-married-together.pdf
Description: Ends Married Together
File size: 694 Kbytes
Filename: Double-crimped-stop.pdf
Description: Double Crimped Stop
File size: 661 Kbytes
Filename: Trimmed-connection.pdf
Description: Trimmed Connection
File size: 686 Kbytes
Filename: Installed-clothesline-loop.pdf
Description: Installed Clothesline Loop
File size: 882 Kbytes
 
greenhorn
Posts: 8
bee woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Very nice!

I will steal that idea

When we moved into our house there were clothes lines all over the place and they were mostly made from single strand copper wire.
This will be a big upgrade.
 
There's a city wid manhunt for this tiny ad:
Learn Permaculture through a little hard work
https://wheaton-labs.com/bootcamp
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!