We are looking for a person or couple that wants to be part of our farming startup on 120 acres in northeastern Alabama.
The farm is about 45 minutes from Birmingham.
Necessary Practices and Skills:
• Must be honest, hardworking, and have good communication skills.
• Must have an entrepreneurial spirit.
• Must be a self-starter, problem solver, and good at working alone or with others.
• Must have ability to work collaboratively with remote managers.
• Must have livestock experience.
• Must have good "people skills" and high comfort with public interaction.
• Familiarty with and willingness to learn/utilize organic principles.
• Familiarty with and willingness to learn/utilize Holistic Managment practices.
• Must treat animals and livestock in a humane and respectful way.
• Ability to manage intensive grazing of livestock.
• Willingness to grow pasture-based slow food.
• Must have comfort with multi-species integration.
• Must have committment to continued learning and process improvement.
Farm chores will include:
• Feeding & caring for cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, and dogs.
• Working cattle, sheep & pigs.
• Employing and adjusting a rotational grazing plan on a daily basis.
• Using electric fence effectively.
• Castrating, vaccinating and doctoring, trimming hooves, etc. as necessary.
• Handling hay, both square and round bales.
• Maintaining fencing.
• Repairing buildings and new construction (depending on skill level).
• Maintaining equipment.
• Planting/renovating pastures.
Other necessary factors:
• Must be in good health.
• Ability to handle 50lb bags of feed.
• Must have a valid driver's license.
• No criminal history (and willingness to submit to a background check).
• No drugs.
• Other experience in equipment maintenance, construction, carpentry, and gardening is desirable.
• AI experience, or willingness to learn, is desirable.
The position comes with salary/stipend, housing (with utilities), and meats produced on the farm.
There is space for you to raise chickens for meat and eggs and to produce a kitchen garden to cut down on food bought off the farm.
There is a possibility that you can run stock alongside ours, within limits.
This a startup operation, but we intend to provide you with the ability to have a great lifestyle if you like living the farm life!
If you meet the skills required, please email us with your work history and resume, work references, and tell us a little about yourself and your experience.
The email is email@example.com
. We will provide pictures of the property and cabin once we open a dialogue. Thanks for your interest.