I've been making my own red wine vinegar for some time, but I'm bad about reading/following directions and I just sort of winged it. I had leftover wedding wine, and I added the mother from a bottle of Bragg's acv, then let it sit two months and viola - vinegar! My question is in regards to safety. Are there any visual cues I should watch for in the mother that might suggest the wrong kind of bacterial growth? I'm suspicious of something this easy and don't want to poison myself or my husband inadvertently. Right now, I have a new batch with a mother hanging out on the bottom of the canister, and an older batch with the mother floating on top. The float-on-top one concerns me a little. There's no mold, but there's just a hint of a grayish tinge, but that may just be because I can see it. Anything I should worry about with making vinegar this way? Both are "cooking" in plastic, wide-top containers (like you might keep cereal or pasta in), with cheesecloth covers. I had shut one completely for a while (no air), and that's the one with the mother floating on the surface. I'm worried I shouldn't have covered it.