greg mosser wrote:mike patterson, do those different-looking plants taste any different?
the not-watermarked ones look a lot like sochan (cutleaf coneflower/Rudbeckia laciniata) leaves to me, which is another perennial edible that i have in abundance here in western nc. i don't seem to have waterleaf (though i know i've seen it around somewhere locally) but will try to get it (as well as honewort, since you mention it) on my property. sochan has a pretty distinct flavor that i find hard to classify (i've heard people say it tastes medicine-y to them though i don't quite get that)...i haven't heard if waterleaf has much of a distinct flavor? it would definitely be obvious to you in the late summer/fall during flowering if sochan was there, since the flowers are yellow and 3-5 feet tall, very different from waterleaf.
George: I would love to know how to search for the intentional communities that seem to be working well, any suggestions? The reason for the land is that we would like to do a large garden and raise animals both to sell and to eat ourselves. In order for us to do that we would need the space. I wouldn't mind sharing these things with others but to do so we would need to increase the amount of production which would mean more land needed. Our final goal is to be producing 80% of our own food and then offsetting the other 20% with the income we would be making from the sale of our produce/animals. If we could make enough that my husband could work freelance outside the home occationally that would be a dream come true! I will definitely look into getting that book!!
the plastic needs to be removed at the end of the season. Whether the farmer recycles, reuses, or chucks into the ocean this plastic is not the issue here. The issue is whether or not we're willing to pay an even greater premium for produce that is more aligned with our superior permie values. Would a more fitting yet less click-baitey title be "Organic farmers being forced to abuse plastic resources to even attempt to compete with conventional farmers"? It's a lot easier to spray sevin or whatever, but if we want carrots for <$1/lb. we shouldn't expect them to come from a hugel-polyculture.
(c)Weed problems may be controlled through: (6)Plastic or other synthetic mulches: Provided, That, they are removed from the field at the end of the growing or harvest season.
Rebecca Amstutz wrote:Hi Mike! My husband and I are super interested in visiting soon. Could you tell me approximately how much are the leaseholds that are available for rent/sale? We're curious if they are within the range of possibility for us or not. But we want to visit regardless!