Kind of funny thing - when we got started actually DOING the permaculture/homesteading thing, my time for chatting about it online pretty much disappeared. We got a couple of videos up on YouTube, but our ambition to video document the whole process lost ground due to various technical issues (from running for the first few months with no AC electric power at all, so we couldn't use our laptops for video editing, a cracked laptop screen, very unreliable internet access - changing cellular providers has helped that). You can look for "Tenelach Farms" on YouTube for what we did manage to get up.
We bought wooded land with no development at all. Since May, when the driveway went in, we've been living here in our travel trailer. We've got the septic system and the well installed and are cleared to have our grid electric attached. The electric is its own ironic frustration, in that the Only existing infrastructure on our land was the Consumer's Energy power line running through about 200 feet from the road, and less than 200 feet from our building site. You wouldn't think getting hooked up to that would be difficult
Today I dug the hole for relocating our temporary electric service pole. Where the electrician installed it (not where we told them to) won't work. So I get to move it. In December snow ..
While I wanted to get our small animal systems started this year, we were on bottled water for most of the time we've been here. We got the pump installed, but had no power for it. Eventually got to where we are now running the pump as needed off our generator. Really can't do any scale of livestock with bottled water
We've had adventures with zoning and code regulations and the arbitrary interpretation of same, but we've got s permit to put in our foundation, and are waiting for the engineer's report on our planned timber frame. I've cleared roughly an acre, much by hand, and have been stockpiling timbers that will, hopefully, go into that timber frame. This winter should see more timber harvested for the frame, and some of the digging for the foundation.
There are plans for a pond below the house, and for the kitchen garden to run in swales that cross the slope between house and garden. I've picked up several plastic 55 gallon barrels that will be the manifolds in our under house PAHS (passive annualized heat storage) system.
Too much time has been sunk into building a frame for a winter cover (greenhouse) over the trailer. Strawbales in plastic contractor bags are skirting the trailer, blocking wind and providing some insulation to the undercarriage.
Our attempt at a garden was a huge bust, including an education about deer pressure here (they like beans, all the beans), but we discovered we have blueberries all along the power line cut.
It's a huge adventure, an incredible amount of work, and the most rewarding stuff I have ever done.