This is a continuation of my thread under Greening the Desert: (https://permies.com/t/47370/desert/Coachella-Valley-green-desert
). My objectives were:
1. A retirement gig.
2. Be self-sufficient energy and water, ie solar plus well.
3. To start a hydro or more likely an aquaponic farm so I would be self-sufficient with leafy greens. No intention to grow grain, raise livestock etc.,
4. Be close to a major metropolitan, say within 2 hours, be close to an true international airport is important, like LAX, SFO etc.
5. Optional but would like to operate a farm to table eatery on site.
6. Optional too but supplying greens to some neighborhood markets or eateries would be a plus.
7. Love to have around 3-5 acres, and I don't mind land price say $30k per acre. I don't mind working with over reaching planning/building depts.
I spent a month going up and down the west coast from San Diego to Vancouver BC., Quite like Vancouver Island and Seattle, but not sure about the grey sky. Love the Bay Area but land are quite expensive even 2 hours out. In SoCal, I was thinking of Coachella Valley, but am open to other locations. Lately, I found these two:
Mountain Center (USDA zone 8b): This is sort of in the center of Idyllwild (20 minutes), Palm Desert (35 minutes) and Temecula (45) minutes, it's woodsy with lots of horse ranches and quite isolate. Pop 200 or so. About 2 hours to major airport or Hollywood.
Murrieta (USDA zone (USDA zone 9b): This is next to Temecula, Murrieta is a growing city nevertheless. It's 90 minutes to LAX and 60 minutes to San Diego. One can still get 5 acre lots for $30k/acre or so.
Anyone got knowledge of these two places? Thanks.