BRK #42, Days 75-77
Friday, October 15: Just Cobbin' with Myself
Slept in the bunk room for the first time; it's not for me. Got breakfast and packed a leftover lunch before heading to Bartell's. The dampness from previous days' rain was all around, so I got the fire going to warm and dry a things up inside. I held off from getting down and dirty with the cob bench building until after I had cleaned up and worked outside. Any wet wood which I wanted dry, I stacked between the door and the heater. The garden shed attached to the house was reclaimed and stocked with lumber that was good and dry. It was dark by the time I used up all the cob, having begun to smooth around the wood feed and to the left of the barrel.
Saturday, October 16: Some Gals Love the Mud
Slept on the Megadesk again. There's a reason. After getting the OK from Paul, I set to work gathering stray pieces of lumber to make a deck for my sleeping pad (think a mattress you roll up and bring camping). For now, I intend to sleep on this platform I make which will rest on the ground level. Eventually, I'll find a way to raise it up to be level with the rafter beam, and Bartell's may then house multiple bunks!
Mags agreed to help me with the cob bench in the afternoon, and Ajeet lept at the opportunity, which was awesome. I loaded the Dugmobile with sand from arrakis, the remainder of the cob from the event, and some wood to burn. We rode up, I showed what all I had done and planned for the cob bench, and they got to work. After I unloaded the sand, I filled the truck bed with buckets, tarpa, stove pipe, scrap and trash that I wanted out. The girls made a great deal of progress and were thoughtful enough to save the last hour of work for me to finish on my own.
Sunday, October 17: My Own Bed to Make
Slept in the library one last time. Forgot about the cleaning blitz, so Dez kindly reminded me. After a hearty brunch, I gathered my belongings in preparation for moving, then got to work on making a base for my bed. The shop got a big heap of sawdust from me trying to square up thirteen 40" lengths of 2x6 which were warped every which way. The design I ripped off from the desk in the library, of course. Some boards ended up being the thickest, so I shimmed the gaps between the boards and the 1x2 braces before fastening with screws. Despite resting on a flat slab of concrete, the top of the deck was still a bit uneven when I flipped it right side up. It'll have to do, and I think it'll do just fine for me.