As a mushroom professional I see a lot of comments where terminology is mixed.
Different substrates need to be treated differently. Some need to be pasteurised [straw] some need to be sterilised [Wood dust] some may never be sterilised [straw]. So make sure your answer is related to the correct substrate.
And boiling straw is never a good idea. Because boiling means above 100 C and you should never boil your straw.
I would be reserved in using pine needles as a substrate. Especially when you are a beginner. Straw is by far the easiest to learn to grow mushrooms. My advice: Use chopped straw. Easier to handle. :-)
Dry mushrooms are in most of the cases related to the environment [To dry] or waiting to long with harvesting.
On our YouTube channel [rotterzwam] we offer several videos on how to handle mushrooms.
This one is on dry mushrooms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0gql3TIM50&list=PLhXTewbEDkBdP-NJyKlG4xL13t46La0-I&index=7&t=0s
Hope this helps.