Deb Stephens wrote:
Loxley Clovis wrote:
Folks should always be aware when eating anything -not just in the fungi kingdom- from the wild. For example, a novice forager might not know the identity & poisonous properties of hemlock (conium maculatum) or a blowfish (tetraodontidae).
This is very important! Last year I finally made my husband understand that the so-called "cow parsley" invading our old garden area was, in fact, poison hemlock. I had to pick leaves and stems from several related plants (all looking like, or actually, parsley) and point out the minute details of each--then show him a couple of youtube videos I found on the dangers of misidentifying hemlock before he would give in and admit he was wrong. It isn't that I wanted to be right, but that I did NOT want to be dead! Apparently, he had actually added a few small leaf-tips from the hemlock to a wild salad he picked one evening!!! (Without telling me.) I'm really not sure why we were not poisoned, but all I can figure is that the growth was brand new and at the very top of the plant--maybe the toxin was not strong enough there to affect us. I know that many toxic plants, like pokeweed, for example, can be eaten sparingly if you limit intake to the small, new leaves or leaf tips AND consume very small quantities. However, I do not plan to repeat that particular experiment, and now my husband won't either!