Judith Browning

+ Follow
since Jun 21, 2012
Merit badge: bb list bbv list
Biography
Living in a small rural town after forty years in the woods......
For More
a temperate, clay/loam spot on planet earth, the universe
Apples and Likes
Apples
Total received
In last 30 days
175
Forums and Threads

Recent posts by Judith Browning

I wish for a world
where we have a passion for compassion.

Carlos Santana
(1947 to pres., guitarist)
Samba Pa Ti Live in Mexico:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACdwCIld3kE
1 minute ago
third batch...following May's guidelines while I'm learning.

This time the blue seems more opaque after aerating...I used slightly more leaves to water, slightly less washing soda and 15 minutes aerating rather than 10 since I was pouring jar to jar and thought that wasn't adding as much air as a whisk or electric beater would.
About to add dissolved calcium.

Next year...will plant early and will just pinch tips....and I'll need some larger vats and a whisk on my electric drill...........
12 hours ago

Jay Angler wrote:Enquiring minds have ideas... but we *need* to know!



OK, I exaggerate - we *want* to know. What is it really, and/or what could creative people use it for?


Is the white coating enamel or is it that rubberized stuff?
That would make a difference in what it was used for.
To me, it doesn't look like something used for hot things.
20 hours ago
happy spring Megan!
How late will you have snow in the mountains?

My one, very healthy looking so far, 'new zealand' peach is doing great in the ground.
It's old enough maybe it will have a few blooms next spring? I'll have to look back through this thread to see when you sent the pits😊


22 hours ago

 When do you plant rye and winter peas? I seem to have my timing off  



Joylynn, I try to have both on hand and start planting them when the rains begin, usually in November.
The rye grain gets a bed all to itself and planted earliest.

The peas success is different every year so I plant some by the handful, thrown hard onto bare soil, whenever it rains from early november into december...usually near a fence because they love to climb but also in some beds in the main garden.
I have not found the right grain to grow with them or the right timing so that the peas don't cause the grain to lodge?  I tried oats one year and the oats froze and the peas with rye did not work for scything later....maybe rye grass would have worked better.

I really like the rye grain for surpressing weeds and then scything for some great mulch,
It seems to deter most growth except beans and sorghum...probably other things will grow in the stubble that I have not tried.

We buy 5#organic rye berries and 5# organic hard winter wheat  from Azure from the food section,..pretty economical I think.  We get the peas from our local feed store by the pound ..10# is usually enough.
The wheat will go in same as rye....Steve likes to turn it under young and green.
23 hours ago
We can remind each other
of our freedom and our possibility.
We are so deeply interwoven
in the energy field of consciousness itself,
and when you know it,
whatever you do
becomes benevolent in some really deep way.

Jack Kornfield
(1945 to pres., psychologist, writer, Theravada Buddhist teacher)

Anyone got tips on how to get dirt out from under the nails?  



Well Nancy, you clearly need to do more dish washing😀

I keep my nails pretty short so there's less to hold dirt....I have some orange sticks that last forever and don't seem to hurt like cleaning with metal...dishwashing does the rest.
My fingernails are ok but toenails from going barefoot are harder for me to clean....I often wondered if that was the attraction to fingernail polish, if that was a coverup?

edit...I just saw your chosen chore in Anne's 'what chore to get rid of' thread😊
1 day ago

 You can still plant daikon seeds now since hard freeze is still over 2 months away. The roots will be fine in light frost, especially with some mulch near the base.  



Will plant them today in the bare spots where the turnips and mustards are up.
It's a place I'm watering often anyway to get the greens to germinate and survive this dry spell.

I keep thinking first frost rather than first hard freeze.. frost here could easily be in 3-4 weeks so I'm lining out my priorities.
I'd like the sweet potatoes to stay in the ground as late as possible and maybe the peanuts are ok through a light frost?

Long beans are done although there are a few blooms and an occasional bean.
Time to do some clean up for austrian winter peas later in the fall and rye grain.
1 day ago
Sometimes
if you move carefully
through the forest,
breathing like the ones
in the old stories…

you come to a place
whose only task
is to trouble you
with tiny
but frightening requests…
…Requests to stop what
you are doing right now
and
to stop what you
are becoming
while you do it,
questions
that can make
or unmake
a life.

David Whyte
(1955 to pres., Anglo-Irish poet and philosopher)
You might be able to easily pop the plants out of those clay pots for transplanting or maybe lift them carefully with a fork?

My potting soil is always on the sandy side so maybe that helps with my method.
I seed wooden flats that are about 3.5" deep.
I let the soil dry out a bit before transplanting and then lift clumps with a kitchen fork, lay them on the potting table, separate gently and fill a transplant pot about halfway but at a slant so I'm just laying the roots on the soil, then while holding the stem add soil to cover the roots...tap the upright pot on the table a couple times to settle the soil then set in a vat of water until the soil is soaked.

I guess in a sense I'm planting 'bareroot' or close....works well for most everything for me but again my potting soil is pretty sandy....the trick seems to be letting it dry out some rather than being wet heavy clumps attatched to the roots.
2 days ago