Annette Jones

pollinator
+ Follow
since Nov 28, 2013
Merit badge: bb list bbv list
Biography
Permaculturist and Seedsaver from NSW south coast Australia
For More
Schofields, NSW. Australia. Zone 9-11 Temperate to Sub Tropical
Apples and Likes
Apples
Total received
In last 30 days
3
Forums and Threads

Recent posts by Annette Jones

Barbara Simoes wrote:Annette, thank you for sharing those pictures; most of those animals seem so exotic![/quote
Not so exotic here, I love our wildlife, especially the bird calls.

Barbara, the blue-tongued lizard is a family pet, they have their babies and hang around fairly close to rocky areas and inside pipes I've laid near the main house, we've had many generations of them over the years.

The kangaroos love the pumpkin patch to lie in and watch the world go by, it's lovely seeing young roos leaving mum's pouch for the first time, so gangly and leggy -)

I hope people from all over the globe post here, it's great to see animals from other countries and hear how you all interact with them.

5 days ago
What an interesting page. I'd love to see others from all over the globe, c'mon permies
5 days ago

Thekla McDaniels wrote:I used to grow “love in a mist” Nigella, everywhere I wasn’t growing something else.  They grow readily, are pretty, have a fabulous seed pod good for dried arrangements AND super easy to collect the seeds, so you’ll have plenty for next time, and the root system is TINY!  You can just pull them right out. I always thought of them as substitute “weeds”.  

Calling a plant a weed just means the person doesn’t want those plants in that space.  I think my idea of “choose your weeds just shows how silly I am.

In addition to spreading Nigella seeds everywhere, I also encourage lettuce to self seed all over everywhere that I will be watering so that the seeds of unwelcome plants already present in the soil won’t get a chance to germinate.



Apart from being so pretty, having great seed pods for flower arrangements, and seed saving-they produce lots - as Thekla uses Nigella for, this is one plant I would never call a weed as it is so useful.

I save enough seed to scatter each season, the rest gets stored to be used for ground black pepper. It is a great black pepper substitute and FREE from your garden.

Pete Grego wrote:i believe the fastest growing plant is kan kong or some similar water lilly type plant. i believe any kind of fast growing water planet will also add to the nutrient density of your compost, considering that algaes like spirulina/chlorella are most nutrient dense foods on planet. perhaps even someone could experiment w throwing different algaes on a compost if its sturdy enough?



This is true. I have been growing kangkong for over 20 years at the side of one of my backyard ponds, you can sit out by it and almost watch it grow.

Downside is it needs a very warm climate to thrive but you get tons of it for great crunchy salads, stir fries, stews or as mulch/chop and drop.

My compost heap gets barrow loads, I love it.
1 month ago
In Australia people are encouraged to enter the acronym ICE (In Case of Emergency) on their phones with the name and number of the contact they wish a finder to call in case of phone loss or danger.
Maybe ask a trusted friend or family member if they will be your ICE contact.
I've had to use it a couple of times over the years and been glad I put it on my phone.
1 month ago
My ancestry is Danish and my grandma and mum made pickled fish and rollmops. The fish was placed in a huge glass bowl on a bed of salt and covered with salt from 1 up to 3 months, you can layer up to the top of the container as long as salt covers everything.

When you are close to ready to eat. Take a fish out, wash thoroughly and place in a pickling mixture of vinegar, salt and a little sugar with 2 bay leaves, peppercorns, dill or onion, whichever you are used to in pickling. As a child I found it very vinegary but as an adult I love it.

Right across Russia, Baltic countries and Scandinavia this is traditionally served at our Christmas Eve 12-dish supper and at Easter.

Grandpa also used to smoke herring but I am unsure how long this process took, just that I liked it. I would guess there are a lot of tips on smoking fish on the internet though.
1 month ago
Jeff, thanks for kindly posting the link to The Farmers Handbook (goldenseal), I really appreciate it.
2 months ago
Jay, and son and DIL, please check out my post from last year at https://permies.com/wiki/272602/Permies-Poll-fruit-trees-homestead. for a look at what my small yard contains.

My area grows sub-tropical to temperate very easily, (also a few tropical if I place them in the right areas with canopy ; a few cool temperate if I place them facing north against brick or stone walls and protect them when under 3 years). I've put their Latin names for anyone who is curious as I realise some may be unfamiliar.

Of course what you choose will depend on your State/Country/local area, but the point I am trying to make is to check out varieties that can add a continuation of produce, rather than just one option and create areas with under storey shrub, vine and ground cover plantings.

I have a small (just under 600 sq mtrs), sloping suburban permaculture demonstration backyard, showcasing layering of many plants grouped in their deliberately created microclimates.

As an example my apple tree has 5 different varieties of apples grafted to a crabapple stock and grows in the coolest spot of the yard. I chose varieties that don't all mature at once giving fruit over 3-4 months. My banana varieties extend the growing season over 8 months and grow in the hottest area where they get maximum sun, by surrounding them and interplanting them with other edible shrubs and sweet potato ground cover and mulch it warms and protects the soil.

Grafting is a wonderful tool in a small backyard. I have used it on my citrus, plums, peaches, cherries and apricots. I had a few dramas early on finding which varieties were most tolerant of their positions and had to change a couple of positions to better suit my berries, but now all seems to be in sync and thriving.

My biggest challenge is climate change and water which over the years I've managed to adjust my block to, but the weather changes are fairly rapid now and it is ongoing work in progress. I have some wonderful people in our local permie group which we have formed into Permie Pods, they come to help and see how to manage small areas, even balcony growing is taught. As long as you can grow something it all helps ourselves and our communities.

I've been a permie, before permaculture really became a thing and studied with Bill Mollison in the 1980's so as you can see I'm getting on now, but I must say permies has been an invaluable place for learning new ideas, different ways of viewing a sustainable life, and meeting some pretty fabulous people along the way who share their knowledge and caring.

When you make your list of what the locals in your area, look at what else can grow on or under, you'll be surprised at how much yield you will have.
3 months ago

Carla Terry wrote:I am interested in drinking chicory, but not sure where to get it and even how to grow or make my coffee. I believe it is the root, but not completely sure. Since I can't have caffeine, this has been a great alternative for me, but would love to grow instead of buying.


Hi Carla. Hope this helps.
Chicory Coffee - Cichorium intybus Description: Open pollinated heirloom variety that is a hardy plant with a long taproot topped by a rosette of leaves. Known since 4000BC throughout Europe, chicory roots have been dried and ground for use as a substitute for coffee and a vegetable. It is the ingredient used in coffee/chicory essence and many dried substitute coffees sold today. Its properties help support the liver. In the herb garden grow at the back as it grows up to 1 metre tall. An attractive herb with spikes of bright blue daisy like flowers it is also a wonderful pollinator plant and attracts butterflies and other pollinators. It is frost and drought tolerant.
Care: Prepare soil by deep digging in well-rotted manure or compost. Plant in full sun in spring, directly where it is to grow. Sow 1.2cms deep. Protect from snails and slugs. Keep moist, not wet. Plants should be 60cms apart to allow for good strong root growth. Add organic fish or seaweed fertiliser when plants are half grown.
Uses: Roots are dried, slow roasted and ground as needed as a coffee substitute. Leaves and young roots are steamed and used as vegies. Young leaves can be used in salads in spring, as the weather heats up they become too bitter to use this way. Roots grow up to 30cms long and weigh a kilo. A well-known liver tonic it supports the body and rids it of toxins. Fresh chicory root contains from 13-23% inulin and is used to fight colon cancer. (USDA.gov). Its other use is that the roots break up compacted soil areas. Left over parts of the plant thrown on the compost provide many valuable trace elements missing from our soils as the deep roots bring them up from the subsoil and then they are broken down in your compost.

4 months ago
Celtuce which is the edible lettuce referred to by Jennie, the stems taste like mild asparagus, I love them when making Asian food.

All stems and leaves of broccoli, broccolini, kohl rabi or cauliflower if they have not turned woody.

Nasturtiums, I use the green seeds pickled in vinegar like capers, the very young leaves in salad for their peppery taste, the flowers are lovely with a little drop of honey hit at the base, and I sometimes use a leaf or 2 in a vegetable juice or in cooking.

Sweet potato leaves are a wonderful source of protein used in stews to thicken them or fried until they are crunchy to sprinkle over meals, as well as the roots being so tasty.

Hamburg Parsley can be used for leaves and the roots are yummy and give a parsley taste to anything you cook with.

Young dandelion leaves in salads or roasting the roots to dry and chop to make hot natural coffee substitute or brewed, cooled and used in icy cold drinks with a little maple syrup.

Radish leaves in juices or roots in Asian stir fries or patties.

Chayotes/chokoes. Fruits are similar in taste to zucchini and the large edible seed inside is very high protein. Another great use is to make dolmades from the chayote leaves - just as grape leaves, (used in normal dolmades), become mature and too thick, the chayote vines are bearing fresh leaves, so it extends my dolmade seasons a lot. They bear a lot of fruits suitable for making pickles and spreads.

Appreciating all the suggestions here, I love anything that produces little waste.
4 months ago