Patrik Schumann wrote:Good to see you back Ulla! We're also in SoCal, on a small inner-urban site, but every square foot possible planted to edibles. Rain-water 1st, gray- 2nd, conveyed least, mostly perennials, trees, shrubs, vines around outdoor spaces, whatever else we can get going underneath as they're the only ones that get dry season irrigation. We get a lot of grape, feijoa, pitanga, araça-uçu, guava, loquat, blackberry, pomegranate, mustard greens, arugula, fava beans, mint. Good thing as we're a greens & beans family. Squirrels, rats, birds get more than we do. Everything else takes some effort. Happy to have succeeded with turmeric, ginger, lemongrass; still working on fennel, onion, leek, garlic, rhubarb, brassicas, blueberry, banana, citrus. Gophers kill a lot from below, skunks dig up new plantings. There's never any end, though we reached a real plateau catching all our runoff & becoming self-sufficient in biomass. Filling every gap that opens, seeding every disturbance, an hour a day, year round.
Douglas Alpenstock wrote:
Ulla Bisgaard wrote:The garden is also inspiring my thirst for writing. Creating our wild side gazette, has brought me so much joy. It contains a satirical and funny stories of what I experience on our homestead.
Ulla, this is brilliant stuff. How do I subscribe to the Gazette?
May Gardner wrote:Not a DIY solution, but since powdering was mentioned here it reminded me of how I've used freeze dried fruit and/or veggie powders in ways those colorful sugars are often used. It works great and tastes so much better. They're also great on uncooked cookies too: cut fruit into slabs, cookie cut them into holiday shapes, dip or dust them with the powder. If you make funnels out of paper or whatever, you can direct the color to certain spots to do dots, lines, etc. as well. Freeze drying preserves the color better than dehydrating too so you can get really saturated colors. It you have a freeze dryer you could make them of course, but I don't so I used purchased ones.
Megan Palmer wrote:Saffron has traditionally been used as a dye as well as a spice.
May Gardner wrote:I was all excited about preserving my excess garden produce to store in a shelf-stable way, and had this idea that I'd be able to can things I grow in a basic and healthy way, but I keep running into roadblocks. The more I look into it, the less I think canning will work for me. I really want it to work, but it seems like it won't unless I change what I grow so that I grow things specifically for canning, and change the types of foods I'm willing to eat. I already was going to change the foods I would eat some for this, but now it's seeming like I'd need to change it too much. I'm hoping someone(s) will have solutions. Here are the issues:
First: I'm limited to water bath canning, canning-wise, since my stove is not suited for pressure canning, which I can deal with as I was thinking I could still water bath can (and dehydrate, freeze).
Second: I know it's recommended to use only lab tested recipes in order to be food safe. I know I can do something like refrigerator pickles without the recipes, but those aren't shelf-stable and the point for me is to have it last months beyond the season, not just weeks. The thing is, this severely limits what I can use in terms of the ingredients as well as the size of the pieces of ingredients... and I'm having trouble finding much if anything I actually want to eat or think is healthy (I guess it's a relative and subjective term). More on that ahead.
Third: Is related to the previous one in that I don't like sweet pickles or relish, and don't want to have added sugar (or added sweeteners) in my jams, jellies, preserves, etc. or any food actually. It's partially because I don't think it's healthy, and mostly simply because I don't have that much of a sweet tooth and I get headaches from sweeteners, just don't like the taste (especially in pickles), and prefer to taste whatever sweetness (if any) of the foods without that. When it comes to pickles I'm all about the savory and sour, and ick to any sweet with that. When it comes to fruit things, I like the fruit itself without the added sweeteners.
Why is sugar in practically all of the water bath canning recipes, even pickling? I've seen in some places that you can skip the sugar as it's just a flavor thing with pickling, but in other places it says it's needed and none of the recipes have it as an optional thing. Even the recipes for special diets that can't have sugar still have a sweetener. Really? Can't we just have plain dill pickles without sugar or garlic? Which brings me to...
Fourth: I'm allergic to garlic, and somewhat sensitive to onions. I love dill and it's fine in foods... used to be allergic to dill pollen, but that seems to have resolved.
Fifth: There are way more limitations on ingredients for canning than I thought there would be, so like most recipes, I don't necessarily have the exact same ingredients ready to use at the same time and/or at all as the canning recipes. I'm fine with having to get specific canning salt, and get distilled vinegar, but when it gets into the realm of needing to buy produce that I'm not growing just to be able to preserve what I am growing, it stops working for me so much.
Take cucumber pickles for instance, the size of the cucumbers is an important food-safe part of the recipe as is whether you slice it and how. I usually don't grow pickling cucumbers specifically, and I was hoping to be able to pickle the cucumbers I grow when they are a bit younger than I usually eat them. The thing is I grow a lot of snake and Armenian types of cucumbers (which are actually a melon), little cucamelons (which isn't really a cucumber either), and various kinds of cucumbers that are meant to be eaten at a larger size (like slicers), none of which seem to be allowed except possibly the slicers in relish (which has sugar, garlic, onions, or all of those... and red bell pepper which I'm not growing).
I had thought I'd be able to grow things I like (and I do grow lots of varieties), and preserve what I wouldn't be eating fresh so that I could have it during the rest of the year too. I wasn't going to be depending entirely on canning, but I don't have unlimited freezer space, and freezers need electricity, so I was hoping the canning could take care of that. I can dehydrate things, and have been, but my dehydrator only has 5 trays and uses electricity, is not quiet, and it gets depressing having it on all the time in my living space. I'm getting the plans for the solar dehydrators here and we plan to build it, but it might not get done for this season, so I was thinking canning could make up for that. I was hoping to have canning as part of how I can eat food I've grown all year round on a regular basis, even after we have the solar dehydrator.
Does anyone have solutions for this, or should I just give up on water bath canning (at least until/if I adjust what I grow)?