So we just bought a home with a little property in northern Arkansas. I myself am obsessed with gardening and homesteading and want a garden - our best garden spot we noticed the ground above it in a huge swath of about .2 acres is completely sodden and some of the earth has a sheen on top of it- the sheen does break up when stirred and disappeared when we started digging it)... we live near to the top of a ridge and on top of the ridge there is a suburban community. The home above us does have a septic system but said there leech field is about 160 feet away from where the water is seeping up. We do live in a mostly wooded area and our neighbor across the way has springs on his property not too far away. My questions-
Is this awesome and I could let this water my garden?
Should I be freaking out it’s contaminated?
What we dug our today looks totally clear and smells great...
I already ordered some well water test strips and some hydrocarbon test strips. Should this be sufficient?
What are some cool ideas for making this water source amazing ?
Thanks guys! I can’t wait to garden it’s pretty much my favorite thing ever ever ever.
I wouldn't catch the water and drink it and I wouldn't use it to water my lettuce/spray my lettuce and eat it. I would however feel okay using it to water my fruit and nut trees. I would also be okay building a ditch on contour to spread the spring water the width of my property to use it to sub-surface keep my property moist.
With this there are 5 contaminants.
1) Heavy metals during rain event having water sheet down to you. A ditch will stop them.
2) Nitrates/Phosphates/etc, this is really a blessing, keep it coming
3) Oil, pesticides, fertilizers. Fungi will degrade most/all of them, if you can contain the flow in a ditch.
4) Pharmaceuticals metabolites from whatever meds they are taking.This is my biggest worry.
5) Microbes and parasites. A ditch on contour that hold the water, will have these bad microbes eaten/killed/out competed.
Iterations are fine, we don't have to be perfect
Try 100 things. 2 will work out, but you will never know in advance which 2. This tiny ad might be one:
Switching from electric heat to a rocket mass heater reduces your carbon footprint as much as parking 7 cars