PERMACULTURE LIFE-STYLE OPPORTUNITY IN CENTRAL AMERICA
The ideal person for this position will joyfully and skillfully participate in the creation of a sustainable farm and small community in the mountains of Panama, close to Boquete.
Our property, at an altitude of 1650 to 2000m, borders the largest national part in Central America, with the highest biodiversity in the world. Ideally you have hands-on experience in permaculture design in sub-tropical environments, both in theory but most importantly in practice. You will oversee the year round cultivation of vegetables, fruits, chickens (eggs), and eventually bees, rabbits, medicinal herbs, and more. Other people with necessary skills can be called in as required. You are enthusiastic and skilled at designing, managing, and orchestrating the sustainable development of hillside property (19 hectares total) in accordance with organic and permacultural principles. Your innate understanding of nature and natural systems, and how to co-operate with the environment in a sustainable way will serve you well, as will your strong initiative and self-direction.
Three strong and hard-working laborers will require your direction and management on a daily basis in order to help realize our joint vision and design. The construction of ecological housing is something you understand or at least appreciate and are willing to investigate and assist with. A sound comprehension of Spanish will be helpful, although not essential so long as you are able to quickly learn the language.
The following would be advantageous, although not strictly necessary:
* A background of formal studies in agriculture - farming vegetables, animals
* Knowledge and experience with organic farming
* Sound understanding of permaculture concepts and practices
* A professional background in organic farming
* Experience with trees (arborist skills)
* Comprehension of written and spoken Spanish will be helpful, although not essential so long as you are able to quickly learn the language.