Win a copy of Coppice Agroforestry this week in the Woodland forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • paul wheaton
  • Leigh Tate
  • Pearl Sutton
  • r ranson
  • Mike Haasl
master gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • John F Dean
  • Beau Davidson
  • Nancy Reading
  • Jay Angler
  • L. Johnson
  • thomas rubino
  • S Rogers

Rocket Stove 3.1 and 3.2

Posts: 23
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm on my third rocket stove mock up. It's getting pretty close to the final model. In my last run, the top feed design just wasn't working. I couldn't get a solid fire going, and the draw wasn't working either; even though i used paper to heat up the heat riser and started with lots of small, dry wood. Things are pretty moist up here right now, so i could try using dryer wood again. BUT, i decided to nock out the front, cover the top and feed the fire from the front. When i did this, BINGO. Strong fire, great draw with only a few wisps coming out that went away when loosely covered with a metal plate.

Any input on this kind of front feeding design?

I have a double wall, aluminum pipe packed with vermiculite and clay as my heat riser. I was going to replace it with a steel pipe wrapped with aluminum sheeting and vermiculite/clay packed in between them. Good idea?

With the top feeding version, i really wanted a way to clean out easily under the fire, so i literally built in a clean out that i bought from the store attached to a coupler. I liked this. I made it pretty air tight when it was closed, and planned on really setting it up with a solid clay mixture, or high temp. mortar in the final version. Now, i'm all about the front feed...

Looking forward to learning more...
[Thumbnail for IMG_20121209_155226.jpg]
Initial brick layout, later shortened by 9" (brick length)
[Thumbnail for IMG_20121210_142420.jpg]
Top/down feed, not working very well
[Thumbnail for IMG_20121210_152349.jpg]
Front feed working great!
This is my favorite tiny ad:
rocket mass heater risers: materials and design eBook
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic