Such an exciting time! We just had our area for our aquaponics greenhouse cleared leveled and the pit dug for the fish! Woohoo! It has been several months planning and work to get to that stage.
The Mister worked for a day to smooth and round out the pit after the bucket loader finished the original dig. About midway down on one side, he ran into a large buried log and root mix. No big deal, we figured, as it was going to be covered with a styro-crete layer and then the liner.
Two days later, we had a huge storm system come into the area. It was the same system that caused all the tornado devastation in Granbury Texas. Luckily for us, we didn't have any tornadic activity here but we did have two days of almost non-stop rain. He had covered the pit and built a berm around it that was reinforced with railroad ties. We assumed we would get some water in there but weren't particularly worried
Now don't get me wrong, we were glad of the rain! However, that area in the fish pit that had the large log and root cluster turned into a conduit for water and silt seepage. So now, our pit is almost full of silt that washed out around the log.
But, we still feel lucky that it could have been much worse. Today is supposed to be sunny so we are looking forward to our sludge bucket brigade to clear it out!
Our various sprouts and hugel beds benefited greatly from the water and we were able to catch quite a bit as well. As I said, we were very lucky.