• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

mosquito spray in our neighborhood

 
janet jacobsen
Posts: 45
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
We have an urban permaculture garden so we are not using fertilizers or pesticides. Every so often the "mosquito spray truck" comes down our road spraying who knows what in the air. We have fruits and perennial veggies etc growing and I don't know how harmful the mosquito spray is. We are getting chickens and bees and I'm wondering if I need to find out when the truck is coming and try to protect everything or just leave it all alone and hope for the best.
 
S Bengi
Posts: 1356
Location: Massachusetts, Zone:6/7, AHS:4, Rainfall:48in even distribution
8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I would find out when they they come by and right after they do come by I would hose down everything.
And maybe get some plant some mushroom everywhere to help break down the chemicals in the soil.
As for the chicken I would lock them up for the chickens I would lock them up for at least 3 days after.
 
John Polk
steward
Posts: 8019
Location: Currently in Lake Stevens, WA. Home in Spokane
286
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
First, I would phone (or better yet, visit in person) the agency doing the spraying to find out what they are using.
IMO, I wouldn't want any of it near my plants, but some are less evil than others.
Knowing what you are dealing with should be the first step.
That way, you can research specifically on known issues.

Until you can determine what they are spraying, assume the worse, and act accordingly.
Cover/protect whatever plants you can, rinse off afterwards, etc.

As far as the bee hive goes, try to find a spot well off of the highway, possibly behind the house.
You may not be able to keep the spray off of all of their food sources, but at least keep it off their home.

While you or I would probably have pages of legal issues/permits to use such poisons, government agencies I have had experience with usually seem to think that they are exempt from the restrictions.

Good luck.

 
Bob Dobbs
Posts: 145
3
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The mosquito spray is one of two classes of things: Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis, a benign bacterium that only affects mosquito and gnat larvae; permethrin/deltamethrin/cyfluthrin, synthetic pyrethrinoids which are toxic but could be worse, these do kill most/all insects on contact but break down rather readily. The pyrethrinoids are however extremely toxic to fish, crustaceans, all insects, and honeybees especially. I would find out which and make a big, big stink mentioning possible lawsuits if they are spraying the poison. If there was a sort of solvent odor when spraying, it (obviously) is the poison. Another way to tell in lieu of anything else is see if any insects of any sort are flying around the treated areas.
 
janet jacobsen
Posts: 45
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There isn't an odor of perhaps I should say it is very mild. We have mosquitos within a day after the spraying and we have flies we also have fireflies later in the summer, it doesn't appear to kill them. I've lived in Denver, St Louis and now I'm in a quiet little neighborhood tucked back in a little town and all of these places have been sprayed regularly during the spring and summer. I will contact the city and find out what is in the spray; from the description you gave I'm guessing it is the Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis. Thanks!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!