So my 10 year old daughter noticed a large mushroom (bigger than a basketball) at the base of a tree this afternoon while our family was at the park. We are new to fungi "hunting" so considerable research was done before we were satisfied that it was in fact "Chicken of the woods"... 11 pounds worth of it. All chopped up (and sections harboring additional leaves, grasses, & insects removed) it amounted to approx 2 gallons worth of edible mushroom. We tested a small sautéed portion to verify that none of us were allergic.... Good thing, as my wife's throat immediately began to itch. Ironically, she hates mushrooms (only had buttons), but loved the taste of this one.
Location: Melbourne FL, USA - Pine and Palmetto Flatland, Sandy and Acidic
posted 5 years ago
Do me the special favor and save spore, research the site or at least contact a local university and contact a researcher of interest. When things like this break the bell curve they are well worth study.
Those who hammer their swords into plows will plow for those who don't!
Aaron Festa wrote:Quick question even though a mushroom is listed as edible doesnt mean someone cant be allergic, right? I wasnt aware of mushroom allegeries.
I always caution people to be careful when trying any new mushroom. Try a little bit, well-cooked, first time....wait and try a bit more. Never slam down a big plate of a new wild food of any kind right out of the starting gate....
Personally I have had unpleasant reactions to King Boletes (bummer) and chicken of the woods. I'm okay with oyster mushrooms, shitakis, chanterelles and so far, the Garden Giants we are growing.
I'm dismayed by people making a rich soup of a few pounds of wild shrooms and serving them to shroom-virgins. asking for trouble.
Below, my son with one of of our red stropharius shrooms.
"Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?" --The Matrix
I will suppress my every urge. But not this shameless plug:
A rocket mass heater is the most sustainable way to heat a conventional home