Win a copy of The Prairie Homestead Cookbook this week in the Cooking Forum forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • James Freyr
  • Mike Haasl
  • paul wheaton
  • Dave Burton
stewards:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Joseph Lofthouse
garden masters:
gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • Steve Thorn
  • Eric Hanson

Mushroom type?

 
                        
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello friends,
I just collected this mushroom today from the forest where i usually go for running.
It starts small and this is the biggest size of it i have ever seen
Anybody got any clue on its name and properties?
shroom-1.jpg
[Thumbnail for shroom-1.jpg]
 
pollinator
Posts: 2392
87
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hard to say, just looking at the top of the cap. Probably not an Amanita, the stem doesn't look like it has a ring and volvulus. What does the underside look like, gills or spongy? If it is spongy, then it could be in the order Boletales. If it has gills, there are a lot more possibilities for what it could be. If you really want to hunt it down, go check the keys at the Mushroom Expert.
 
                        
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
it has gills underneath.. here is a photo of it
Nevertheless thanks for your reply i have the feeling it should be a common type of fungi and definitely not poisonous cause i have already touched it and i am safe
I will keep researching before i try it!
IMG_6249.JPG
[Thumbnail for IMG_6249.JPG]
 
pollinator
Posts: 196
Location: Sunizona Az., USA @ 4,500' Zone 8a
8
greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Take a spore print to find out the color of the spores.
 
Posts: 57
Location: Austria, Central Europe, USDA-Zone 6b
23
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
First of all: just because you touched a mushroom and didn't feel any effect doesn't mean that it is safe!!! Most poisonous fungi (even the really dangerous ones) don't even have any effects if you taste a little bit. Also by far not every poison that can be taken up through your digestive system will be taken up through skin contact.

Also there are some deadly mushrooms where first symptoms of intoxication will appear about 1-2 weeks after consumption!



From your pics an identification is impossible, but it could be some kind of Pluteus sp.


Also it would help to know where you found it.
 
Your mother was a hamster and your father was a tiny ad:
Switching from electric heat to a rocket mass heater reduces your carbon footprint as much as parking 7 cars
http://woodheat.net
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!