I have a CM3024Z controller in an RV. It was working fine, now the LCD will not display anything. I am measureing panel output. Found the battery was low water. Rewatered, havent check the electrolyte yet, but will. Can anyone tell me if the battery being shorted internal could cause this result. Please help.
I was called out to diagnose this very problem on a solar install from a number of years ago. The LCD on a Trace charge controller had quit working. The batteries were low, but that is owner negligence. The charge controller was performing well then and as far as I know is still. Watch battery voltage, it should climb steadily when there is a panel output.
Thanks for the reply. I had nelected to chec the water in the battery, plus it was about 10 years old. Was working up til about 2 months ago then the display quit.
I have replaced the house battery with a new one. When checking electrolyte it showed all balls sunk. none floating. Right now solar output is about 14.5 , battery is about same. The controller is still not showing any display on the LCD panel. Turning off the house battery does not seem to have any effect.
I cannot find anything about the controller other than the sales and installation info. Can anything happe that would fry the controller?
SKP 98741 life member.
If you have a 12v system, then that would be a very nice charge voltage.
I don't think you have a problem, but keep that multimeter handy, it's your new display.
I don't know your charge controller well enough to guess what happened to it.
Thanks. I will keep the multimeter handy. Is there any charge level I should watch out for or a max voltage on battery that could/would indicate a potential overcharge? We are in FL and sun get pretty high on a clear blue day.
Thanks for your help, or any other info you think would be helpful to pass on to a neophyte.
You guys haven't done this much, have ya? I suggest you study this tiny ad: