1) No water needed. Power outages, water shortages have no affect on the system.
2) No drain needed.
3) Can't plug. Found out that this has always been a worry for my younger daughter when she uses someone else's flush system.( 20 yrs on flush, 3 months on sawdust )
4) Portable. Can be moved for renovation, sickness or infirmity. So far we have shifted temporarily for renovation (flooring) and sickness. ( severe dizziness, 2 days )
5) Cleaner in many ways than flush. Less scrubbing, less of a clean swing between just cleaned and needs to be cleaned. No rust stains, less hidden areas for odour and bacteria. In my house it has shifted the majority of the cleanliness of the toilet to me so my wife is happy, and just said so again.
6) High on the ethical/permies positive scale since food grade compost is created from two " waste products ".
7) Kitty litter can be the same cover material in our house so it is a financial advantage plus I add the litter to an outgoing pail to be composted.
8) Colour easily changed to match a decoration change in the bathroom. My wife is the painter/person with taste, she presently has it porcelain white but is not limited to that.
I also tend to cringe when pushing the handle on a flush toilet at some people's houses. Nothing like watching that water rise instead of going down and wondering if it's going to keep going when it reaches the rim. And even if it doesn't overflow, you're left with a nasty batch of stuff that's usually sitting at a higher than normal level. Then there's the question... Do I try it a second time? I usually look for a plunger first. Then if unsuccessful there's the awkwardness of telling the owner.
It's enough to make you want to carry a bucket with some sawdust in the car.
If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?
posted 5 years ago
My wife just mentioned that she had thought of another advantage of the sawdust toilet and that was that it doesn't sweat.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which.