• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Mike Haasl
  • paul wheaton
stewards:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Dave Burton
  • Joseph Lofthouse
master gardeners:
  • jordan barton
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • Ash Jackson
  • Kate Downham

Best Live Garden Pathways. Clover & Grass Mix? Please. link me to Information

 
Posts: 232
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Howdy and thank you for taking time to read this...

We live in SW Virginia, not sure if this is zone 6 or 7, with all the Global Wierding going on.

Anyhoo.

Please link me to any other significant threads about this...OR add something here.

I just 'weeded' our garden pathways, removing 99% crabgrass, and leaving less than 1% amount of white dutch clover and red clover.

We have plenty of White Dutch and Red Clover seed.

Is there any grass which does well mixed with clover in this area?

Now that I've read a bit of other threads, I will contact our local Extension office.

In case anyone has good ideas, FEEL FREE TO SHARE!
THANK you
 
gardener
Posts: 6670
Location: Arkansas - Zone 7B/8A stoney, sandy loam soil pH 6.5
1322
hugelkultur dog forest garden duck fish fungi hunting books chicken writing homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Irish moss or Scottish moss will work well with clover, it is also heavy foot traffic durable, pretty low maintenance and is very soft on bare feet.
 
gardener
Posts: 1948
Location: PNW Oregon
33
hugelkultur forest garden duck trees books chicken food preservation
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There is also creeping thyme, which can work out well in various situations.

You may want to get some seed and do your own little experiment to find what you like best.

Have a look -
Ground Cover you can walk on
 
Gail Moore
Posts: 232
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you for these wonderful ideas.

I REALLY appreciate ideas for a pathway I would not need to mow, and which are soft for bare feet =)

Keep 'em coming, if other folks have ideas, too.

THANKS.
 
Posts: 826
Location: In the woods, West Coast USA
113
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yerba Buena, Satureja douglasii, is a great mint plant that is drought tolerant and survives down to 5 degrees F. It's getting a lot of press lately as a lawn substitute. I was out working on the barbed wire fences, suddenly smelled this great mint smell, and there is was, volunteering in partial shade where there was some moisture in the ground. 50/50 sun/shade if it's not too hot.

http://www.laspilitas.com/nature-of-california/plants/622--satureja-douglasii
 
Now I am super curious what sports would be like if we allowed drugs and tiny ads.
100th Issue of Permaculture Magazine - now FREE for a while
https://permies.com/goodies/45/pmag
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic