Less than 42 hours left in our kickstarter!

New rewards and stretch goals. CLICK HERE!



  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Paid Consultant To Design My Acre of Land  RSS feed

 
Jim Bryant
Posts: 55
Location: Piedmont Region of North Carolina
food preservation forest garden
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I live on one acre in a residential neighborhood and would like to design a perfect permaculture system for this yard. Unfortunately I have not the knowledge to design that which would be an otherwise outstanding permaculture homestead. Would someone please recommend a great consultant for me here in the Piedmont area of North Carolina?

Thank you so much
 
Alexis Arzuaga
Posts: 3
Location: Rougemont, NC
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Aristotle, have you found anyone? I am on the same boat. I am looking for a Permaculture designer. I'd love to do it myself, but I can't attend any PDC at the moment, I wish I could. Let me know if you hear from anyone, please.

Alex
 
Miles Flansburg
steward
Posts: 3889
Location: Zones 2-4 Wyoming and 4-5 Colorado
156
bee books forest garden fungi greening the desert hugelkultur
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
And if you do not find someone you might buy the two volume set of Edible Forest Gardens, which takes you through a complete design which you can do yourself.

http://www.permies.com/t/20162/books/Edible-Forest-Gardens-Volume-Dave

http://www.permies.com/forums/f-183/
 
Jim Bryant
Posts: 55
Location: Piedmont Region of North Carolina
food preservation forest garden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Alexis Arzuaga wrote:Hey Aristotle, have you found anyone? I am on the same boat. I am looking for a Permaculture designer. I'd love to do it myself, but I can't attend any PDC at the moment, I wish I could. Let me know if you hear from anyone, please.

Alex


Hey Alex,

Where are you located and how much property are you designing?

I stumbled upon these lectures linked below and it turns out they are mentioned on this forum several times.

https://mediasite.online.ncsu.edu/online/Catalog/Full/f5a893e74b7c4b7980fd52dcd1ced71521

While listening to one lecture I learned about the Greensboro Permaculture Guild, went to their website and emailed Charlie Headington about possibly designing my acre. It was just yesterday and I have not heard back from him as of yet.

Also, I got this email reply from Javan Bernakevich,
"
Jim,
Thanks for your message. I'm told Keith Johnstone and Peter Bane are in the
NC area. They run Permaculture Magazine. If you're looking or liking Sepp
Holzer's work, Zachery Weiss is the first North American certified Holzer
Permaculture practitioner and his brother is setting up in the NC area.
All the best on your endeavours and thank you for your efforts,
Javan
"
Hopefully something will come from all of this because the more I study permaculture the more I realize that a system must be designed for the land not the other way around and design expertise takes a lifetime of practice.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

 
Alexis Arzuaga
Posts: 3
Location: Rougemont, NC
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Miles Flansburg wrote:And if you do not find someone you might buy the two volume set of Edible Forest Gardens, which takes you through a complete design which you can do yourself.

http://www.permies.com/t/20162/books/Edible-Forest-Gardens-Volume-Dave

http://www.permies.com/forums/f-183/


Thank you, Miles. I will certainly look into this...
 
Alexis Arzuaga
Posts: 3
Location: Rougemont, NC
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Aristotle Bridford wrote:
Alexis Arzuaga wrote:Hey Aristotle, have you found anyone? I am on the same boat. I am looking for a Permaculture designer. I'd love to do it myself, but I can't attend any PDC at the moment, I wish I could. Let me know if you hear from anyone, please.

Alex


Hey Alex,

Where are you located and how much property are you designing?

I stumbled upon these lectures linked below and it turns out they are mentioned on this forum several times.

https://mediasite.online.ncsu.edu/online/Catalog/Full/f5a893e74b7c4b7980fd52dcd1ced71521

While listening to one lecture I learned about the Greensboro Permaculture Guild, went to their website and emailed Charlie Headington about possibly designing my acre. It was just yesterday and I have not heard back from him as of yet.

Also, I got this email reply from Javan Bernakevich,
"
Jim,
Thanks for your message. I'm told Keith Johnstone and Peter Bane are in the
NC area. They run Permaculture Magazine. If you're looking or liking Sepp
Holzer's work, Zachery Weiss is the first North American certified Holzer
Permaculture practitioner and his brother is setting up in the NC area.
All the best on your endeavours and thank you for your efforts,
Javan
"
Hopefully something will come from all of this because the more I study permaculture the more I realize that a system must be designed for the land not the other way around and design expertise takes a lifetime of practice.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.



Thank you Aristotle, this is very encouraging.

I am currently in Durham, NC. However, we just bought about five acres north of here in the Rougemont area...

As for the NC State videos, I just finished the 2nd one. I've tried contacting Wil Hooker, but to no luck in getting a response. Please, let me know how the Greensboro Guild work out. I am somewhat familiar with Holtzer's work, and I like it. I agree with you, and that is why I'd like an experienced eye to come look at the land so that I can get a better perspective.

Please, stay in touch and let's see how we can continue and promote this permaculture "thing" in the area.

Alex

(Lazaros)
 
Jim Bryant
Posts: 55
Location: Piedmont Region of North Carolina
food preservation forest garden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator


Thank you Aristotle, this is very encouraging.

I am currently in Durham, NC. However, we just bought about five acres north of here in the Rougemont area...

As for the NC State videos, I just finished the 2nd one. I've tried contacting Wil Hooker, but to no luck in getting a response. Please, let me know how the Greensboro Guild work out. I am somewhat familiar with Holtzer's work, and I like it. I agree with you, and that is why I'd like an experienced eye to come look at the land so that I can get a better perspective.

Please, stay in touch and let's see how we can continue and promote this permaculture "thing" in the area.

Alex

(Lazaros)

Hey Alex,

I got the email below from Zachary Weiss this afternoon. It looks like he is booked up til December. Also, he likes to do the implementation work himself. Either way I am listening to the podcast to find out if he is the right pick for me but I will definitely do the work and not him. I love working outside and can't see paying someone to do something that I love to do myself.

I will let you know how it goes with the GPG.

Congratulations on your finding 5 - acres. We are still looking here in Alamance County. Need to find something close to Burlington because of our business.

Good Luck,,

Jim


"Hello Jim,

Yes I am certainly interested in the project. I'm about to leave for a big
project in Ecuador for 2 months and then some clients would like me to
begin working on the concept plan for a large project in Bulgaria so timing
is the only potential issue.

What kind of time frame are you looking at for the project? I am certainly
able to take it on over the winter but will be wrapped up in travel and
projects till sometime mid December.

Depending on your goals for the project there are a variety of ways I can
facilitate the implementation of the project as well. That's really what I
pride myself on being, a Holzer style implementer rather than a
Permaculture Designer. It's great to come up with a beautiful plan on
paper but putting that plan into place and improving the clients
relationship to their landscape is the real juice of the work in my opinion.

Depending on the scope I could do the installation at some point over the
winter/spring with my operator and brother (who lives in Boone), or if the
scope is smaller my brother can handle the installation of the project at a
time that works for both of you.

Can you tell me a bit about your goals with the project? How do you
envision interacting with your landscape? What kinds of yields are you
looking for? Who else may be involved or affected by the project?

I saw that you found Javan through Permaculture Voices, below is a link
from a podcast I did with Diego, it should give you a better idea of my
approach.

http://www.permaculturevoices.com/building-dams-ponds-and-rehydrating-the-landscape-the-water-retention-landscape-with-zach-weiss-pvp109/


I look forward to hearing more,
Zachary Weiss

www.HolzerPermaculture.us <http://www.holzerpermaculture.us/>
www.ElementalEcosystems.com <http://www.elementalecosystems.com/>"
 
Kelly Castle Smith
Posts: 7
chicken fish urban
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Have you found your permaculture consultants yet? I have been working closely with two graduates of the intensive permaculture course out at Pickards EcoInstitute. They are very sharp and know their stuff. I'd be happy to pass along your info to them if you are still in need.
 
Jim Bryant
Posts: 55
Location: Piedmont Region of North Carolina
food preservation forest garden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Kelly Castle Smith wrote:Have you found your permaculture consultants yet? I have been working closely with two graduates of the intensive permaculture course out at Pickards EcoInstitute. They are very sharp and know their stuff. I'd be happy to pass along your info to them if you are still in need.


Hi Kelly,

I would truly appreciate the contact info. We are actively looking for land and it would be great to hire one of them to help us choose the right property.

Thank you,
 
Kelly Castle Smith
Posts: 7
chicken fish urban
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
They aren't going to want their numbers posted on a public forum, so send me a Moosage with an email address and I'll pass along the digits!
 
David McConnell
Posts: 1
Location: Raleigh, United States
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Aristotle, Im a designer in the Raleigh area and have a 4 week window starting in 2 weeks. I am available to discuss your Permaculture vision via message or email in the meantime. Best, David
 
Jim Bryant
Posts: 55
Location: Piedmont Region of North Carolina
food preservation forest garden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Miles Flansburg wrote:And if you do not find someone you might buy the two volume set of Edible Forest Gardens, which takes you through a complete design which you can do yourself.

http://www.permies.com/t/20162/books/Edible-Forest-Gardens-Volume-Dave

http://www.permies.com/forums/f-183/


Like this idea. Thanks.
 
Jim Bryant
Posts: 55
Location: Piedmont Region of North Carolina
food preservation forest garden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Miles Flansburg wrote:And if you do not find someone you might buy the two volume set of Edible Forest Gardens, which takes you through a complete design which you can do yourself.

http://www.permies.com/t/20162/books/Edible-Forest-Gardens-Volume-Dave

http://www.permies.com/forums/f-183/


Thank you Miles. Do you believe that these books will have plant recommendations for the Piedmont North Carolina area?

Best regards,

Jim
 
Jim Bryant
Posts: 55
Location: Piedmont Region of North Carolina
food preservation forest garden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Miles Flansburg wrote:And if you do not find someone you might buy the two volume set of Edible Forest Gardens, which takes you through a complete design which you can do yourself.

http://www.permies.com/t/20162/books/Edible-Forest-Gardens-Volume-Dave

http://www.permies.com/forums/f-183/


These books are amazing. I got them for Christmas and am enjoying them profusely. Thanks,,,
 
2017 Permaculture Design Course at Wheaton Labs
http://richsoil.com/pdc
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!