Sunny, charming home faces the Farmington River & has 2 bedrooms plus a large "studio" that can be used as a 3rd br, family room, or office with its own entrance & fireplace. The master br has its own ½ half bath. The main room features an open kitchen, dining area, & living room. Oil hot water heat, & large woodstove. Private well. Oak & bamboo flooring, relatively new painting throughout. Bathroom walls & floors recently updated; tub/shower has gorgeous slate tile. This 1.48 acre plot includes a mudroom (doubles as extra room in warm months), a south facing patio, 2-bay attached garage with shed, full basement w/laundry area, small outdoor hot tub, plenty of parking, large front/back/sideyards, several gardens, solargreenhouse, stone walkway & flowerbeds, a creek, & woodland “bird sanctuary." This yellow (with red trim) ranch-style home is in a quiet neighborhood on a street with no outlet. Kayak/canoe access to river is across the street. Walk along the river, to town (5 mins), through the woods, or up to the lookout on Sweetheart Mountain. Bike the path to local shopping or all the way to MA. Hear the river rushing over the dam all year long & the peepers' spring song.
The site is a prime location if you are looking for connection to nature, privacy, & space to garden/microfarm. This is a rare, remarkable property in Collinsville, a village within Canton, 30 minutes west of Hartford, CT. Collinsville was listed as one of America’s “top 10 coolest towns,” with a vibrant village life, bike paths, natural setting, river recreation, & nearby shopping & amenities. NYC is only a 2 1/2 hour drive away; the Berkshires are less than an hour away.
Property features (A2 Survey Completed)
• Southern exposure w/ 1.48 ac (northern half wooded, southern half open); southern facing patio offers a warm microclimate
• 2 bedroom ranch house (easy maintenance & accessibility); attached 2-bay garage plus small shed
• Private well & town sewer (septic system replaced w/town sewer in 2013)
• Electrical box upgrade in basement & additional box in garage w/ extra 110 & 220 outlets.
• 300 ft of privacy fenced installed
• Detached greenhouse (8’x16’ gable roof w/ 10’ peak, redwood frame, & polycarbonate panels)
• Perennial flowers & herbs in house foundation gardens lined w/ curving field stone walls & stone path leading to greenhouse • Vegetable garden w/ raised beds (fenced area 25’ x 40’) & stone lined planting beds on outside perimeter
• Landscape includes sitting areas, small perennial gardens, & a woodland path; perennial stream runs through the backyard woodland & into Farmington River.
• Existing plants within the landscape include raspberries & blackberries, blueberries, herbs, perennial flowers, red stemmed dogwood, woodland plants such as ramps, & native trillium & lady slipper.
• Winter views across river to mill village of Collinsville.
• Because of the proximity to the river, the sediment delta on the river’s edge, the woodland edge, the open areas, the stream and the wooded corridor connecting the property to Sweetheart Mountain and Land Trust woods, there is an abundance of wildlife to enjoy year round. From the property (looking out of the windows or sitting outside), great blue heron, bald eagles, hawks, osprey, beaver, ducks & geese, belted king fisher, cormorants, deer, spring peepers, frogs, turtles, rabbit, and a plethora of song birds are common with an occasional visit from bobcat, bear and moose.
For more info: See listing with photographs on Zillow.
Tom, I just want to let you know that things may move quickly. Tomorrow, we begin showing it to several potential buyers who have very serious interest. However, none of them are "permies" & we would really love to see this habitat (a.k.a. "property") cared for by a permie. If you'd like to speak or email directly, just let me know. Peace.
Thanks for letting us know, Chivas. We are still meditating on whether to pursue your place or not. This new information will help us decide. If you'd like to send along phone or email contact, that might not be a bad idea.
All the best, and may it all work out for everyone's greatest good and highest joy!
Okay, so it looks like 1 or possibly 2 offers are in the works. If you'd like more info, is there a way to exchange personal contact info without posting it publicly? Regardless, thanks for your interest & best wishes right back at you!
We will be in Connecticut next week; Wednesday or Thursday would be a good time for us. We'd love to see it!
You can contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org Thanks, and hope it works out.