I watched both of these videos...questions I have on both of them...
1. The double chamber - While it certainly burns cleaner, the appearance of that flame from the top seems like there is still a lot of energy wasted out the top.
2. The Aprovecho oven is great for everyday cooking, if you are only doing 1 or 2 items and then walking away. If it still uses the same amount of fuel as the double chamber, and the double chamber can cook for 8 hours, that seems like a lot of wasted fuel in exchange for a quick heatup time.
What I'm inspired to do is create a "hybrid" oven that marries the efficiency of a rocket oven (quick heating, cooks with air convection) with an option of an extended cook time (a stone oven, cooks with retained heat). I realize that a "hybrid" oven wouldn't be excellent at any one item (may require slightly longer firing, won't stay as hot as long), but I would like to have some flexibility so I can use it as a more of a primary cooking tool, rather than heating it up only on the weekends (at best) because I can't spend 4-6 hours during the week to heat the oven for a 60-90 minute cook time. Has anyone experimented with that concept?
Key items I am considering in my design:
1. Rocket stove for quick, intense heating for shorter burn and cooking sessions
2. No floating floor to maximize oven space and flexibility. Plus, I would prefer to heat the cooking surface of the oven rather than heating the bottom of the cook floor and relying on circulating air to get the job done.
3. An option to direct fire the oven over a longer time to allow for a longer cooking session.
4. Creating an environment for a clean burn while capturing that additional heat and using it to heat the oven surface or air.
allen lumley wrote:John Dooley : Depending on what you have for a skill set the Double chamber cob oven from ernieanderica.info are all that you will need, Ernie is a fanatic about testing
his builds for a least a year before releasing any plans, and I know he has more than a couple of cob ovens to his credit !
Again depending on the skill sets that you bring to the job you could look at the "rocket type'' Bread oven from Aprovecho- To see that build go to You tube and enter
'Aprovecho Research Center' and Hunt for the Video Aprovevecho Rocket Bread Oven. This is a faster heating bread oven and can be used for small pizzas with about
the same amount of fuel as the Cob oven from E + E. This model might work better for people with different skills! Hope this helps you make up your mind, G'Luck !
For the Craft, as always questions / comments are solicited and Welcome! Think like Fire! think like a Gas, Don't be the Marshmallow ! PYRO - Logically Big AL !