I'm actually looking at that. I'm on my third stove in twice as many weeks and all along I've been messing with ways to collect core temperatures for a microcontroller. I've found you can tune the combustion based on the draw and completely compensate for the differences between kiln dried hardwood and damp green wood chips. The stove design is refining itself, but I've already melted through a handful of K type thermocouples. However, with each failed attempt I've learned one more way not to do it and I'm currently on day five with my current configuration. I am running an 8 inch fan on a 5 inch system. Actually there are two in an exhaust plenum, read redundancy. As for the smoke back issues, I've found by preheating the exhaust my sealed chamber with an exterior intake is working quite well.
Oh, and as for those redundant fans. It is quite scary if you turn them both on at the same time at full RPMs. I mean the sound is amazing, though realizing your core just went molten is not so cool. It is however quite scary and exciting.
Right now I'm on the lookout for a used Testo so I can create some hard data to backup my work. The first one I bought wouldn't allow me to log the data, but on the plus side I turned around and sold it to an HVAC guy at a profit.