• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Anne Miller
  • Carla Burke
  • Nancy Reading
  • John F Dean
  • Timothy Norton
  • Jay Angler
stewards:
  • r ransom
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Tereza Okava
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • M Ljin
  • Megan Palmer
  • Kate Downham

Cooking with dried silverweed roots

 
steward and tree herder
Posts: 14642
Location: Isle of Skye, Scotland. Nearly 70 inches rain a year
8324
6
transportation dog forest garden foraging trees books food preservation woodworking wood heat rocket stoves ungarbage
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Last year I harvested and dried some silverweed roots. Since it is coming up to harvest season again, I decided now was the time to have a play experiment with the dried roots.
I decided to try grinding the roots into flour and see what I could do with that. I first tried crushing the dried roots with the end of my wooden rolling pin, but they are much too hard. Maybe a heavy stone mortar or quernstone might work. I have a manual coffee grinder which I then thought would be the best thing I have to grind the roots with, and that seemed to work well.

dried siverweed roots in old fashioned grinder
silverweed roots in coffee grinder


It took a little while to get the settings right on the grinder as this was the first time I used it. Every so often a lump of root would come through unground and I had to put it through again. But eventually I had a small amount of fine flour.

making flour from argentina anserina
fine flour from silverweed roots


There wasn't enough to do much baking with, so I decided to try and make pancakes. I added half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, a tablespoon of honey, and mixed in enough yoghurt to make a stiff batter. I had trouble with the mixture sticking to the griddle, but succeeded in making some palatable, but messy pancakes (or bannock!)

silverweed bannocks


Since I was struggling so much I decided to try baking the remaining batter. I portioned it into a shallow jam tart tray and baked it in the oven for about 20 minutes. I think the over may have been a bit hot, as the cakes browned on the outside, but were still sticky in the centre.

sticky centre to silverweed cakes


I moved the tray down to a cooler spot and gave them another 15 minutes and they were much better cooked.

So I suspect that a bit of fat would make the batter cook better without sticking. The flour didn't seem to be as fine as corn (maize) flour - it mixed up without that thixotropic stage that you get (although maybe the yoghut affected that?) The baked cakes were fairly tough on the outside but spongy inside, so I think adjusting the temperature would help a lot there. They tasted fine though and after a few days they are just a little stale - OK with jam!

I think I'd like to try it with butter or other fat to make a pastry next time, also to use some as a thickener for sauce or stew.
 
Yeah, but how did the squirrel get in there? Was it because of the tiny ad?
Infographic to consider the best heat - all costs
https://permies.com/w/heat
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic