• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Carla Burke
  • Nancy Reading
  • John F Dean
  • r ransom
  • paul wheaton
  • Jay Angler
  • Timothy Norton
stewards:
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Tereza Okava
  • Nicole Alderman
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • M Ljin
  • Megan Palmer
  • Pete Podurgiel

Upcycling mismatched socks

 
Posts: 2035
Location: western NY (Erie County), USA; zone 6a.
409
2
hugelkultur monies cat forest garden tiny house books wofati bike medical herbs writing ungarbage
  • Likes 10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My father used to sometimes wear mismatched socks out in public, and when told by someone about them, would reply ”Yes, I know. I have another pair exactly like these at home!"
 
pollinator
Posts: 6301
Location: Bendigo , Australia
598
plumbing earthworks bee building homestead greening the desert
  • Likes 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I choose to wear mismatched socks, because I see no reason to wear matched pairs.
I have never had a problem with socks disappearing, nor not upset because I cant find a match.
Life is a lot easier that way, perhaps try it.
It may be better than Valium!
 
Rusticator
Posts: 10085
Location: Missouri Ozarks
5625
7
personal care gear foraging hunting rabbit chicken cooking food preservation fiber arts medical herbs homestead
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There are some fun and useful ideas in this link:
https://www.allfreesewing.com/Refashioning-and-Upcycling/Things-To-Do-With-Old-Socks-NSM2020
 
master gardener
Posts: 6948
Location: Carlton County, Minnesota, USA: 3b; Dfb; sandy loam; in the woods
4382
8
forest garden trees books chicken food preservation cooking fiber arts seed woodworking homestead ungarbage
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm so glad I found this thread before starting my own inquiry what to do with socks I've decided will never pair back up. Lots of great suggestions from the past!
socks.jpg
singletons
singletons
 
steward
Posts: 19688
Location: USDA Zone 8a
4944
dog hunting food preservation cooking bee greening the desert
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am told that at some point in time it was popular for teens to were mismatched sock on purpose.  

I never saw that back then though I saw someone on TV wearing mix matched so the other day so it might still be a thing.
 
master steward
Posts: 16298
Location: Pacific Wet Coast
10797
duck books chicken cooking food preservation ungarbage
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Anne Miller wrote:I am told that at some point in time it was popular for teens to were mismatched sock on purpose.  


My friend needs to wear a compression sock on one leg, and not on the other, so she found pairs that went together colour/style wise and wears mismatched all the time. Works for her!
 
master steward
Posts: 8932
Location: southern Illinois, USA
3843
goat cat dog chicken composting toilet food preservation pig solar wood heat homestead composting
  • Likes 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I now buy about 20 pair of heavy work socks at a time.  They are the same color and design. I don’t worry about matching them.  I have not had the need to dress up for maybe 5 years.
 
pollinator
Posts: 3585
Location: Meppel (Drenthe, the Netherlands)
1250
dog forest garden urban cooking bike fiber arts
  • Likes 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This thread came in my 'daily-ish'. I did not yet read everything. Of course sock-puppets were already mentioned (shown in a photograph), but the 'sock-lady' I made is different ...

Here's Veronica. She was made of one whole sock and one sock with a large hole.
As far as I remember I never lost a sock in the washing machine. Most of my socks I knitted myself and I wash them by hand (because they're wool). I have a few pairs of thinner socks, they go in the laundry, And when they have a hole they are 'upcycled' instead of darned.
 
Jay Angler
master steward
Posts: 16298
Location: Pacific Wet Coast
10797
duck books chicken cooking food preservation ungarbage
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The "Door Snake" thread went past recently. It  just occurred to me that if you have a collection of mismatched adult socks, you could stitch them together to make a door snake.

Not sure if I would approach it by stuffing each sock, then stitching them together, or cut the toes off and make a tube first. Opinions anyone?

I tend to only receive holy socks - like John F Dean suggested, my folks tend to buy a bunch of identical socks and not have to worry about matching. I'm the standard grey wooly type myself, but people have gifted me socks in other colours.
 
gardener
Posts: 3950
Location: Western Slope Colorado.
1080
5
goat dog food preservation medical herbs solar greening the desert
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jay Angler wrote:

Not sure if I would approach it by stuffing each sock, then stitching them together, or cut the toes off and make a tube first. Opinions anyone?


Considering my skills, my inclination would be to make a continuous tube before filling the whole thing as a unit.  I imagine that if I made several filled pieces to attach, that where the joins were made it would create draft opportunities.
 
pioneer
Posts: 69
Location: Southwest Mississippi zone 8b, 40 acres Ruston fine sandy loam
26
6
hugelkultur goat cat dog forest garden tiny house chicken food preservation cooking wood heat homestead
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Socks don't actually go missing. They crawl into the closet and metamorphose into hangers!
 
I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay, I sleep all night and work all day. Tiny lumberjack ad:

World Domination Gardening 3-DVD set. Gardening with an excavator.
richsoil.com/wdg


reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic