
r ranson wrote:I've been thinking of going on a no-buy for my hobbies starting in the new year. I'm just waiting on a black Friday sale to get a few more watercolours, and that should keep me happy for at least a year.
Only now, it looks like a postal strike might squash those plans and my no-buy starts early.
So what are my no-buy guidelines?
- no new art or crafting supplies
- unless I used up completely the previous one AND it's something essential like yellow ochre or paper
- proudly show off empty package of finishes supplies
- it's okay to buy supplies for classes but see if I can make do with what I have first
- birthday treat okay. But just one.
- allowance for life because life is messy
- thrift store and second hand okay
- that charcoal pencil I adore but is always out of stock is okay so long as limit to $35 or less for the year.
That seems like liveable guidelines. I wonder if they would work.
Basically the goal is to save up for some big things I want to get next year black Friday while getting to know how to use what I already have. I've started wasting crafting time researching new things I could get when really, I probably have what I need already.
Anyone else doing a no-buy for their hobby, crafting, or art? What guidelines will you follow?
r ransom wrote:Also, I rage bought some watercolour paints.
...
So I bought half a dozen colours or so. Not even sure how many paints to expect.
I don't know yet if i made a sound decision. I'm wallowing in buyers remorse as that money could have been spent on a black Friday paint sale.
As far as Winton and W&N Artists’ Oil Colour are concerned, yes the ratio of oil to pigment is slightly higher in Winton, but only slightly. This isn’t how we achieve the more economical price however. That is achieved through reducing the amount of colours available i.e. dropping some of the more expensive pigments (no Rose Madder in Winton!) whilst still maintaining a balanced palette. There are 120 colours in our Artists’ Oil Colour and 40 colours in Winton. Once the more expensive pigments are removed we look to source alternatives (often hues) or may load a slightly lower amount of the same pigment.
I feel that artist quality, professional paints should be quirky, depending on the pigment, and that folks who use them should be able to use the individual characteristics of each tube/color to their advantage instead of trying to fight them
r ransom wrote:But ease of cleanup is sometimes useful. I have a few more almost finished paper palettes, from there, I will want to decide if I want to keep on with this for class, or find a more portable wood palette and way to transport it full of paint.
Nicole Alderman wrote:
r ransom wrote:But ease of cleanup is sometimes useful. I have a few more almost finished paper palettes, from there, I will want to decide if I want to keep on with this for class, or find a more portable wood palette and way to transport it full of paint.
When I had my history class do oil painting, an art teacher at my school recommended using aluminum foil for paint pallets. It's pretty affordable and recyclable, and the oil doesn't sink into it. You could probably even fold them up nicely to keep the paint good for a few days?
Nicole Alderman wrote:For my history class's medieval book project I wanted the kids to have paper that would hold up to watercolor but wouldn't be super thick like watercolor paper. I asked the same art teacher who'd told me about aluminum foil paint palettes, what type of paper she recommended for their books.
She recommended ]Ucreate watercolor paper and showed me a stack of it. This stuff is pretty affordable ($30 for 250 9x12 pieces) and it's thinner than normal watercolor paper, not really textured, and seems durable. I haven't tried painting on it yet, but I really like how it looks and feels. It actually has the relative thickness, color, and texture of leather parchment (How do I know how leather parchment feels? I splurged and bought one sheet of it to show to my history students.)
I'm going to make a small test journal out of it to see how it holds up to illuminating and watercoloring, and I'll try to report back on what I find out!
Nicole Alderman wrote:I'm going to make a small test journal out of it to see how it holds up to illuminating and watercoloring, and I'll try to report back on what I find out!
|
passwords must contain 14 characters, a number, punctuation, a small bird, a bit of cheese and a tiny ad.
new feature: easy peasy thread boost stuff
https://permies.com/t/377515/feature-easy-peasy-thread-boost
|