We are a fully operational micro-society, that has been incorporating a modern lifestyle with a sustainable and cooperative consciousness. The Ecovillage members share their gain of community living knowledge by providing meaningful internship experiences giving the participant an opportunity for hands-on learning through a fun and dynamic environment.
Interested in more than a tour and ready to get your hands dirty? Passionate about Organic Farming? Our farm will be delighted to guide newcomers in the discovery of organic farming or to share with more experienced fellows the joys of our work. Interns at the farm will take part in our Organic Farming Program that gives the basics of organic agriculture and sustainable practices, suitable for aspiring future farmers, backyard gardeners or any person interested in learning about the subject.
Therefore, participants take part in garden work from the sowing stage to maintenance, irrigation, using efficient weeding techniques, harvesting, and marketing. Doing so, interns gain skills in maintaining a farm by hands-on, learning-by-doing approach. In complement, once a week, theory classes further the comprehension of larger topics such as basic ecology and the needs of plants. Down to earth aspects are shared as well, for example, soil life, cover crops, crop rotations, season extension, integrated pest management (IPM), post-harvest considerations and so on. Additionally, participants can help in the farm’s complementary enterprises (chicken coop, small fruits, berries, sugar bush, and shiitakes) depending on their area of interest and the season in which internship is taken. Since the farm is within an ecovillage, participants will get the chance to experience its lifestyle.
What about meals?
- Meals are included in the internship as an exchange for working on the farm.
- The community has a mainly omnivorous diet, though, we do not serve red meat at the community meals. There is always a vegetarian option. We also have many local veggies!
- We will do our best to accommodate food intolerances and allergies. Please let us know through the registration form!
- Lodging is free in exchange for the work you will be doing on the farm.
- We have 2 small cedar wood cabins equipped with bunk beds, shared rooms max 4 per cabin, with beddings, but for a more comfortable stay please bring your own sleeping bag.
- Bathing and kitchen facilities are easily accessible indoors. Internet connection is available in community buildings. Don’t forget to pack a flashlight to find your way around at night!
- Please visit our website for more information.
- La Cite Ecologique of NH is in a very rural part of Northern New Hampshire. We suggest that you either drive your own car to the community or rent one at the airport.