Win a copy of 5 Acres & A Dream The Sequel this week in the Homestead forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Mike Haasl
  • paul wheaton
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Dave Burton
master gardeners:
  • jordan barton
  • Greg Martin
  • Steve Thorn
  • Carla Burke
  • Jay Angler
  • Kate Downham

Are daylilies ~actually~ poisonous to cats?

Posts: 204
Location: Gulf Islands, Canada
hugelkultur cat books medical herbs homestead ungarbage
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
For reference:

This has been bugging me for a little while. A lot of the people I know IRL who are growies with cats are sure that daylilies are very poisonous to cats. One of mine likes to nibble at my daylilies and has never had a problem, and it seems very plausible to me that people have mixed up daylilies with other kinds of lilies. Does anyone have any further experiences or info about this? Obviously I'm not going to force-feed daylilies to my cat or let him gnaw on them endlessly, but I also hate to let a good plant have a bad reputation.
Posts: 845
Location: Southern Oregon
  • Likes 2 Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've never understood why one would worry about plants and cats, or dogs for that matter. Typically, these animals won't eat things that are going to kill them, unless some unknowing human grinds it up and feeds it to them. I have always gardened with poisonous plants and my pets have never killed themselves, foxglove, nicotiana, monkshood. They know better, if they don't, they should.
Posts: 291
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Meg, below are the list of symptoms of Lily Nephrotoxicity to watch for in your cat. All lilies are poisonous to cats

Vomiting (pieces of plant in the vomitus)
Loss of appetite
Increased urination, followed by lack of urination after 1 to 2 days

I would tend to discount personal observations on something like the poisonous properties of lilies on felines when there is plenty of documented evidence that shows they are. I cannot account on why your cat does not get sick though I suspect it is because the amounts ingested are too low to have any immediately discernible effect. The long term effects of Lily Nephrotoxicity is kidney failure, so it is possible small amounts over time could cause long term effects that are not easily observed.
Posts: 21
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The cat may be self-medicating.  Probably half of ornamental plants are poisonous, but they are also used medicinally in various ways.  Even belladonna, stinging nettle, etc.  I have day lilies and stray cats I take care and both are doing fine.
Evil is afoot. But this tiny ad is just an ad:
Greenhouse of the Future ebook - now free for a while
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic