• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Pearl Sutton
stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • r ranson
  • Joseph Lofthouse
master gardeners:
  • John F Dean
  • jordan barton
  • Carla Burke
  • Leigh Tate
  • Steve Thorn
gardeners:
  • Greg Martin
  • Jay Angler
  • Mike Barkley

November to June quite the improvement

 
Rocket Scientist
Posts: 4390
Location: latitude 47 N.W. montana zone 6A
1477
cat pig rocket stoves
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All;
Spent all of last summer, until late October working out of state.
Of course while I was unavailable, the water system acted up.
Serious plugging, that repeated blowing out had little effect on. Required a complete replacement of the last 30' of a 2200' system.  (over 300' of vertical drop)
Temperatures in November were not the best for this job, with snow and below freezing nights and mornings, but I had little choice. I got it done and working without to much grief.
I hauled much sand home to backfill rather than use the partially frozen clumps of clay that my yard consists of!
Each day I hand backfilled with sand and what little dirt was mixed in with the clay.
I ended up with a pile of "extra" clay... oh about 5' wide x 10' long and 2.5' thick!
I covered it over with plastic for the rest of the winter.

This spring that whole section of yard was a sticky clay mess!  You didn't want to walk on it or you would gain several inches in height from the clay sticking to your shoe bottoms.
I tossed out bunches of lawn seed and hoped for the best. Eventually it worked and we got some lawn coming in.
About 6 weeks ago I had the neighbor come over with a front end loader and carefully remove my extra clay.
This of course produced another sticky clay spot in the yard...  The dog and I seem to track muddy footprints all over the house.... nobody else of course...
I planted more of the same sun and shade seed mix.
This is what it looks like now!  
Quite the improvement!
20191028_174556.jpg
November
November
20191028_174619(0).jpg
November
November
20191028_174619.jpg
November
November
20200612_120815.jpg
June , Quite the improvement
June , Quite the improvement
20200612_120823.jpg
June, Quite the improvement
June, Quite the improvement
 
pollinator
Posts: 1233
Location: Chicago/San Francisco
186
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Job well done. What ends well....  On to the next challenge. <g>

That was plastic pipe, right?    1"?   What caused the original blockage?



Regards,
Rufus
 
thomas rubino
Rocket Scientist
Posts: 4390
Location: latitude 47 N.W. montana zone 6A
1477
cat pig rocket stoves
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Rufus;
Thanks! Plenty of things to move on to!
Blockage was buildup in the metal connectors.
Original black pipe (hard to see) was 1.5" poly pipe. Uses internal connectors.
The white pipe is 2" pvc with external connectors.
 
Rufus Laggren
pollinator
Posts: 1233
Location: Chicago/San Francisco
186
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks for the info. I did not realize that poly pipe had internal metal connectors.  2" pvc is definitely a step up. The stuff actually is very appropriate in many circumstance. When I started plumbing in the 80s, we all turned our noses up at the "consumer grade" pvc drain pipe. Until we had to repipe the sinks at a photography lab! Somebody didn't think clearly and they replaced the original galvanized drain with nice neat copper DWV - and it lasted about 12 months before the developing chemicals ate the bottom out!  PVC  to the rescue.

Cheers,
Rufus
 
This tiny ad will self destruct in five seconds.
Solar Station Construction Plans - now FREE for a while
https://permies.com/t/138039/Solar-Station-Construction-Plans
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic