We are hopefully moving soon to a house with a yard completely overrun with poison oak. We were told that it could be taken care of by spraying it twice over 2 seasons. I haven't looked into what spray they use yet but am weary. We have a 4 year old and a dog so will have to find some way to clear it out relatively quickly though. Anyone have any other ideas for how to handle??
You can use agricultural vinegar with a splash of soap as a spray, its not toxic and destroys any foliage. Otherwise you just have to rip it all out, which is a tedious and potentially painful undertaking.
Not sure if goats will eat it back but they might and that could be a good first step
I like both the ideas that s. lowe noted above. I think goats, or goats for hire, could work, to an extent. Goats won't take instruction, and while they may eat some or a lot of it, they'll likely be eating other things too and may not finish the job. I like the vinegar approach. Some 10% acetic acid vinegar and a little dish soap to spray everything down, then later in the season manually remove the vines and rooting base.
"Study books and observe nature; if they do not agree, throw away the books." ~ William A. Albrecht
Companion Planting Guide by World Permaculture Association