Today I burned my rocket stove for 4 hours this afternoon between 12.00pm and 16.00pm than at 19.30 I started it up again for 1 hour. It hasn't burned now for a hour and a half but the drum is still to hot to touch (no burning coals in the feed tube) is this normal?
Sounds like you should teach the rest of us how to build Rocket stoves ! Will it light kindling placed into the burn tunnel? Be safe, Keep warm PYRO Magic-ally yours Allen L.
Success has a Thousand Fathers , Failure is an Orphan
LOOK AT THE " SIMILAR THREADS " BELOW !
posted 6 years ago
Thanks. I wont start doing doing that yet! I'm still afraid the thing might blow up...I'm going to place a carbon monoxide monitor and fire extinguisher this week and I'll probably take it apart again in a while to see what went on inside!
Hey Debbie, I had the same question cross my mind the first time I let mine burn for that long. I realized the bricks in the feed tube, burn tunnel and heat riser were heated to extream temps. After the fire goes out, the system continues to draw cool air into the feed tube heating it up and basically doing what they were designed to do (draw) until some kind of equilibrium is reached. To slow the cool down I close off the feed tube with bricks in an effort to let less cool air into the system. This slower draw allows the air to get hotter before hitting the barrel,, and causes the barrel to stay hot longer (or coll down slower)
Long way of saying, I'm thinking it's normal for the barrel to say to hot to tuoch for hrs.
Location: Southern alps, on the French side of the french /italian border 5000ft high Southern alpine climate.
posted 6 years ago
Debbie, i had a barbecue rocket. Well, it was kindof a failure for cooking. But the fireproof clay tube inside, after a burn, would stay warm to the touch several hours after. So, as Paul said, if it draws, it's normal that your barrel stays hot, if your rocket draws. The rocket draw can be triggered by only the ouse temp, untill equilibrium with the outside world is reached. So better block the feed tube when your burn is finished.