Nestled in the pristine hills and forests of the Haliburton Highlands, Elfhood is offering an opportunity this spring-summer-fall for one or two people to live in community with us and to share some of your time and energy towards realizing the dream of Heartwood.
One aspect of this dream is working towards producing most of our food here, naturally, using clean air and spring water, far from pollution sources, far from pesticide drift found in traditional agricultural areas. Another aspect is a shift towards natural, non-toxic and sustainable living and building. Another aspect is living from the heart via practising the heart virtues. We require your presence and assistance!
Knowledge of and hands on experience with organic fruit and vegetable gardening is an asset for applicants as food production will be the focus (but not the entirety) of your participation here. You will also be working on a sustainable building project. Construction experience would be an asset, but even without experience, your interest in working with unique non-toxic materials and techniques will provide the opportunity for you to learn about timber frame, bandsaw milling, hemp-crete, various cob and earth-plasters, off-grid energy systems, water systems and more.
This is a basic summary of our offer. It is negotiable and flexible. If all parties resonate well, options for continuing on and/or future cooperative living/working opportunities might unfold.
- living accommodations in a 24 foot trailer with kitchen and all amenities, best well water you have ever tasted, located by the edge of a 30 acrepond, use of kayaks, trails, access to thousands of acres of Crown Lands for exploration, wild edibles gathering, fishing, camping etc
- knowledge and experience in food production, natural building, and exploration of one's -elfhood
- equal share of food from garden which currently includes about 1,500 sq.ft. hoophouse, 2,000 sq.ft. beds, shitake logs, with plans for much expansion in the works
- $400 supplemental food budget spread over the season
- participation in group meditation and possibly group yoga sessions
- commitment for 20 weeks starting between the middle of or towards the end of April
- roughly 33 hours per week of work, predominantly in the gardens, some time spent on sustainable building projects, and perhaps some other creative and sustainability oriented endeavours. You are welcome to offer more of your time to any of these projects if you feel so inclined
Minimum requirements, you:
- are able to meet physical demands of gardening and garden building including digging, brush clearing, carrying heavy loads
- are comfortable with variable conditions working outside including temperature, weather, insects, etc.
- have a 'green thumb' and have experience and success in growing several types of food (i.e. not just potted tomatoes)
- have some experience composting - are able to work productively within a team or without supervision making your own schedule when necessary
- are interested in small-footprint 'sustainable' living, sustainable building, tiny homes, healthy lifestyle
- feel resonance with our vision of a loving, healing planet and people found at Elfhood
Ideal knowledge/experience assets:
- Organic Agriculture/Permaculture/Silviculture
- biodynamic agriculture - e.g.Rudolf Steiner - poultry/egg/livestock production - e.g. Joel Salatin - hoop houses and cold frames - e.g. Eliot Coleman - improving soil fertility and composition
- experience growing and tending fruit trees, bush, and cane crops
- traditional construction skills/trades + experience with natural building techniques
Linda Sefcik wrote:Never heard of anything called Haliburton... is this a family name?
Where is this place of "elves"? So many questions.
Oy.. you made me laugh there!
Seriously though people think everyone everywhere knows the names for different regions. I do believe this is Haliburton Highlands in South Central Ontario Canada. Absolutly stunning area, lots of lakes, ponds, rolling hills, sharper hills and valley with the odd flat farmland and town thrown in. Never did see any Elves though, pitty, I am sure they would like Permaculture as well.
If the OP is still around, I would like to talk to them about some Weekend time,
ps. people it would help to actually put a Province/State/Country in the titles .. really !