There is a "ball" like lump on my ( 2 month old casterated male large white ) Pig. I Google'd it and its an Abscess. Its around golf bad sized. Does it hurt him? Will it affect his eating or anything else ? Can I still fatten him up and butcher him in August/September?
Thanks a million, this is only his third day here, and its my first time having pigs, so thanks for any help! He has two other LW males in there with him too
In the wild, the abscess would break open and drain, or if it didn't, the animal would run the risk of a fatal infection (septicemia). If you take the animal to a vet, he is going to lance the abscess, drain the purulent fluid and administer antibiotics. You can do this yourself if you observe sterile technique, and 99% of the time that will work. Then there is always the other 1% when everything goes wrong and you end up with a dead pig.
As far as pain it can vary. Some zits are not noticeable until you look in the mirror. Others hurt like hell.
Humans get these too - google for videos on "sebaceous cysts". Just don't do this with a full stomach of if you get slightly queezy!
There are many (disgusting) good videos on how to lance and drain a cyst. One hazard is that if a cyst is well established if can form a hard wall and refill again. Perhaps not a problem for an animal that will be slaughtered eventually, but for a human it can be annoying needing to get it drained over and over.
Moderator, Treatment Free Beekeepers group on Facebook.