Thinking BIG here... how would we use Permaculture to fix Public Education? How can schools become self reliant?
- Schools would fund themselves
- Schools would locally tailor education to local needs & strengths
- School Kitchen Gardens, Broad Acre Gardens & Food Forests - Supply school breakfast & lunches while selling abundance at a local or school-hosted farmer's market. Have students in HomeEc classes cook the food for
the lunches. FFA or KeyClub can be servers & cleanup afterwards each day.
- School Compost & Sheet Mulching Programs
- Energy Savings for California Schools as an example: solar panels, greenhouse & shadehouse additions to all buildings on appropriate sun/shade sides to moderate indoor temperatures, roof gardens since most
buildings are flat & trellis with vining crops over walkways & rooftop gardens.
- Greywater Systems (ala Art Ludwig's systems) to save water, nutrient & costs.
- School Auctions for Student Group Activities to be on their properties (putting in swales, gardens, etc.)
What would an example of locally tailored edcuation where you live?
What ideas do you have for schools to be self-reliant?
Thank you for all your ideas & participation!
Grow Abundantly, Learn Daily, & Live Regeneratively
I think that electricity generation provides a great opportunity for education.
From selecting the method of generation, say wind power, designing the device, construction, generation, and use of the electricity; all can be chances for education! Students would maintain the devices and build new things to generate more.
Teaching kids how to arm a solar panel would be a great life skill, and this activity can factor right into the self-sustainability of the school, and excess can be sold or donated - (community renewable energy cell phone charging stations, for example)