I found what I believe to be a specimen of Chlorophyllum molybdites (green spored parasol or false parasol). When I saw the green spore print, my first thought was though I hadn't identified it, it is surely poisonous if it has green spores. Then I wondered if there are any edible/medicinal green spored mushrooms. Do any of you know of any exceptions to this rule?
One of the main rules I have learned about mushrooms are that there are no hard and fast rules regarding which are edible or not. You need to accurately identify any mushroom, not rely on rules of thumb. If you can't positively identify it as edible then ditch it.
Moderator, Treatment Free Beekeepers group on Facebook.
Micheal is right, you have to identify it down to genus and species. I understand there is one species of blue-staining bolete that breaks the rule and actually is edible, but I would want to be sure that I had a dozen different identifiers as to its pedigree.
And how someone figured out that one is edible out of the hundreds that are not, I'm not sure I want to hear that story.
You can use rules of thumb to rule out eating mushrooms. I took a class and they said that if you find a Russula in my neck of the woods and it has a black spore print, don't eat it. That's different that to rule it as edible though.