• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Anne Miller
  • Carla Burke
  • Nancy Reading
  • John F Dean
  • Timothy Norton
  • Jay Angler
stewards:
  • r ransom
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Tereza Okava
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • M Ljin
  • Megan Palmer
  • Kate Downham

Grow cloth from your Kombucha !

 
pollinator
Posts: 643
Location: SW Missouri, Zone 7a
136
goat dog forest garden duck trees books chicken food preservation cooking woodworking homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
As an experiment a few years ago, I sewed some scobies into a pair of slip-on shoes (like Crocs). They are actually pretty tough and leather-like, but as soon as they get wet, they become slippery as eels (although very soft!) I have considered making a reverse last (a sort of shoe mold made from my feet) to grow a scobie inside so that it requires no stitching, but haven't managed to get around to that particular experiment yet. And, of course, there is still the problem of how to keep them from turning into something resembling a wet chamois. It needs to be something that will waterproof them without letting them dry out -- so they stay flexible. I think it is fun to fiddle around with them and could be potentially lucrative. Not to mention a great way to create sustainable clothing and footwear without some poor creature having to give up its skin for fashion! If I was younger and not so busy, I might make this into a major project, but I'm thinking it will have to be someone else's "vegan material of the future" at this point.
 
Is that a spider in your hair? Here, threaten it with this tiny ad:
Permaculture Voices 1, 2 and 3 - all 117 hours of video!
https://permies.com/t/voices123
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic