• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies living kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • raven ranson
  • paul wheaton
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Julia Winter
stewards:
  • Burra Maluca
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Bill Erickson
garden masters:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Bryant RedHawk
  • Mike Jay
gardeners:
  • Joseph Lofthouse
  • Dan Boone
  • Daron Williams

Aluminium heat sink?  RSS feed

 
Posts: 11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've just changed a CPU in one of my PCs, and that got me thinking about heatsinks...

I'm wondering whether a large heatsink placed on top of the heat riser barrel, and perhaps bonded with thermal paste, and a fan blowing across it would extract more heat from the gases

I'm thinking I could cast a heatsink [1] the same size as the top of the barrel, with 4" (6"?) ribs and give it a go.

Anyone done anything similar?




[1]or half a dozen smaller ones.
 
Posts: 110
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
yes/
but you can more easily do a bigger barrel.
 
Gregg L'Oeuf
Posts: 11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

shilo kinarty wrote:yes/
but you can more easily do a bigger barrel.



bigger how?

taller, which would affect the gap at the top of the riser?
or wider? which would affect the csa of the exhaust part of the barrel (the outer downdraft part) - assuming the heat riser stays the same diameter.

I'm guessing you mean surface area of the barrel - so either? - in which case it won't work for me as I only have a limited area in which to build the heater part. ie, an area 44in tall x 38in x 36in



 
Posts: 99
Location: Ontario
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Gregg L'Oeuf wrote:I've just changed a CPU in one of my PCs, and that got me thinking about heatsinks...

I'm wondering whether a large heatsink placed on top of the heat riser barrel, and perhaps bonded with thermal paste, and a fan blowing across it would extract more heat from the gases

I'm thinking I could cast a heatsink [1] the same size as the top of the barrel, with 4" (6"?) ribs and give it a go.

Anyone done anything similar?




[1]or half a dozen smaller ones.



It has been done, on any wood stove, and this would be a much easier and effective choice.




 
shilo kinarty
Posts: 110
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Gregg L'Oeuf wrote:

shilo kinarty wrote:yes/
but you can more easily do a bigger barrel.



bigger how?

taller, which would affect the gap at the top of the riser?
or wider? which would affect the csa of the exhaust part of the barrel (the outer downdraft part) - assuming the heat riser stays the same diameter.


both are good to the rocket.
 
Attractive, successful people love this tiny ad:
Food Forest Card Game - Game Forum
https://permies.com/t/61704/Food-Forest-Card-Game-Game
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!