We've got a large pile of poison oak that we just pulled in the goats area. I know goats eat it, and we can avoid rashes by washing ourselves well, but with our little boys and guests coming around we wanted to remove it. I'm sure we'll have to deal with it again when it starts coming up again, but we've got it pretty well out for now.
There's is plenty of talk about how to kill poison oak, but not so much about how to dispose of it. Burning is obviously a no go. Burying it deep is a lot of work. Feeding it to the goats works, but it gets all over them, then it gets on us.
I'm thinking of making a 4' diameter composter out of left over field fence and trying to compost it. Is there any danger with composting poison oak??
If I did want to feed the goats, I'm thinking I could chop up the poison oak and put it in a keyhole feeder for them. This would limit exposure to their heads, but in truth, it could still spread from there.