I always love the little lists of what they tell you you're gonna learn:
- Licensed and Unlicensed Communication Options
- Why Scanners are So Important
- What Legal Dangers You Need To Know About Your Non-Licensed Two-Way Radios
- How to Develop Your Own Life Saving Comms Plan
- Multiple Portable Power Options For Communications
- How To Assemble A Grab & Go Comms Kit
- HAM Radio Language And Etiquette
- Tips On Getting Your HAM License & Getting On The Air
- Your First Radio DIY Projects
- Access To Free Custom Resource Guides To Get You Started!
admittedly I don't know much about survival stuff, but this does seem like a pivotal part of the whole ordeal so that's why I thought i'd share it with ya'll, because I know we have a looooot of permies interested in this type of thing and this David guy seems to know what he's talking about!
It looks cool, but I always wonder if mesh networking doesn't make more sense. Has anyone else here checked out Commotion Wireless (https://commotionwireless.net/) or Serval Mesh (http://www.servalproject.org/)? The thing about the disaster preparedness angle is that most people (not the folks on permies.com, as we're all perfect) don't really think about it until they REALLY need it, and the developers of these mesh networks have a few good points (usually not-so-well-articulated) about how mesh networks are more resilient and harder to surveil and datamine for advertising.
Besides, I thought HAM radio and similar stuff was all based on X.25, which for several reasons runs much much slower than TCP/IP over the 802.11 family. Sure you can send small emails and texts, but don't even think about anything more heavy duty.
just got a message from the ol survival summit folks - it said this:
We'll still be offering the single DVD on our site, but the offer of the digital file and second disc with all the bonus content will be taken down. That includes how to set up your own Solar Powered HAM Radio station, as well as how to send and receive emails and text messages via HAM radio, a digital copy for instant transfer to your mobile device, and more.
So CLICK HERE to get the bonus dvd along with the other regular dvd!